Odd Purple check marks that only appear when I use the Trainyard Skybox

Draken-Korin

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2009
okay I'm a relative noob here when it comes to mapping I'm making my first map and for some odd reason I am falling to something I actually know how to fix to a degree the purple check marks.

Now before you dismiss me I have read this below

7. No cubemaps

Weird purple/pink reflections are a dead giveaway for a map with either a lack of env_cubemaps, or a map with cubemaps that haven't been properly built. For reflections off of surfaces and models to work right, there needs to be a env_cubemap entity in the area. See here for more info: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Cubemap.

and my map does have cubemaps... but for some reason the Skybox for trainyard which I want to use seems to cause everything even vaguely reflective to go crazy with ridiculously bright purple/pink checks.

I assume it has something to do with this error that comes up when I try to compile

*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_trainyard_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!
*** Error: Skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_trainyard_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_trainyard_01 to build the default cubemap!

Any ideas how to fix this? I would appreciate it ^^;

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
have you actually built the cubemaps after the compile?

Draken-Korin

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2009
Okay... I feel dumb I haven't built them and please feel free to dismiss me as the noob who doesn't read.

I apologise once I assumed it was an issue with just the skybox due to the fact the purple checks only appeared when I used that particular skybox.

=( sorry again feel free to delete this thread.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Okay... I feel dumb I haven't built them and please feel free to dismiss me as the noob who doesn't read.

I apologise once I assumed it was an issue with just the skybox due to the fact the purple checks only appeared when I used that particular skybox.

=( sorry again feel free to delete this thread.
heh no problem.
we all start somewhere (im still a noob) :)