Odd Lighting with displacements

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by invertMASA, Jun 7, 2015.

1. invertMASA

invertMASA L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I know I have found the fix for this before, But for the life of me I cant find it again. what causes the light along the edges like this?

[​IMG]

2. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Put a nodraw brush behind the displacement there. The edge of a displacement might still be looking through the displacement connected to it. And when there is a skybox texture it will just accept the light it emits. The nodraw behind it will fix it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Or a blocklight texture. Works just as well.

As for what's causing it: lightmaps. The lightmap that's right on the edge of that displacement is looking straight into the sun and so it gets fully lit.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Sewing the edges of the ground displacement and the wall displacement together should also fix it, right?

5. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Yup, but it won't look as pretty. Right now you have a clear distinction between wall and floor. With one continuous displacement you don't. Looks too smooth.

6. invertMASA

invertMASA L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Alrighty, Thank you guys will give these ideas a shot

7. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    You can still sew it while having a right-ish angle between the floor and wall. You don't have th smooth it, it wouldn't look any different to what OP has here.