Odd embedded sound behavior + vpk .nav help

darktemplar

L1: Registered
Dec 11, 2014
So VALVe still hasn't fixed their fuckups since Scream Fortress 6 went live. They patched up a few but there are still some sound issues from when maps were loading the wrong soundscapes all together.

Embedding custom sounds into a map makes it so that most (if not all) of them refuse to load in the actual game, which the console even states with it's little "missing from repository" assumption, which they are absolutely not (I guarantee you).

However, if I embed the sounds into the map, then remove them from my own tf sound directory, the sounds do indeed load but have wonky behavior. It's difficult to explain.
Some sounds have a strange tidbit of audio from another sound in the map right at the beginning. Like it loaded that sound first, but then corrected to play the proper one. I also have a sound I modified in audacity to sound like it was being said from within a large container. It plays, but VALVe fucked up the sound and put some sort of filter on it that it did not have before. I have no altered these sounds in any way. This is all absolutely VALVe.

Now finally, the only way I've found to get all my sounds working is to use a vpk for tf2. I've managed to get all the custom content functioning through a vpk, however the nav file REFUSES to cooperate. I have it in the maps folder for the vpk template, right along side the .bsp of the map itself. (yes they are named the same).
I even put the .nav in the maps folder of my tf directory in hopes it would read it from there, but no cigar.

I have noticed though, that the custom sounds I use will play for me in local on my map, but will NOT play for me in dedicated on my map. This may or may not be resolvable by taking the sounds out of my tf directory again so that the game has only the option to read it from the vpk the server is actively providing (though I doubt this would fix it). The sounds however, apparently all play for everyone else on said dedicated server, leading me to believe this as a possible solution.

Can ANYBODY give my any pointers or direct me to any specific individuals in this community that can help me with this? I have troubleshot this little fucker to death and I am fed up with VALVe being a bunch of lazy incompetent morons when it comes to not breaking things, or fixing things they already broke.

Yes I've tried contacting them, but it fell on deaf ears, perhaps because these issues do not occur for everybody. Either that or VALVe doesn't care about creatives in a game that is making them the third most amount of money.

Why will my .nav file not function when put into a vpk?
Why do my sounds behave in a REALLY screwy manner, and some not even load at all when I choose the pakrat embedded option for them?

Oh and on a final note, player coloring has inconsistent behavior as well.
I originally had an output that colored a targetname'd player like you'd try initially, but Scream Fortress 6 broke this too with colored ghosts. I instead used a point_servercommand and executed the console command of | ent_fire <renamed player entity> color 255+0+0 | for red for instance. This technique does work... but only in local. Players will not be colored in dedicated and I cannot figure out why.

VALVe has completely decimated my project and I am furious. Does ANYBODY have ANY kind of ideas AT ALL for any of the problems I've tried to thoroughly describe above?

darktemplar

L1: Registered
Dec 11, 2014
Sound starts like one thing and changes to another? Sounds like a problem with the sound cache!

Is there any way to modify my sound cache or troubleshoot these problems?
I am quite surprised literally nobody can help because that probably means literally nobody but me is having these issues.