CTF Octopus [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Octopus - Asymmetrical CTF map with a helicopter

BLU must break into a RED-owned compound, steal their intel, and bring it back to their helicopter stationed just outside.

Yes, I said helicopter.

Inspired by Donut the Vikingchap's excellent map ctf_infiltration.

20160327145725_1.jpg
20160327145741_1.jpg
20160327145855_1.jpg

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
This map seems more like a squid than an octopus
I'm not kidding when I say that this was originally titled ctf_squid before I changed it to ctf_octopus because it was a more interesting word

Nov 2, 2010
I thought this map was pretty fun but the main thing holding it back was the layout of the Intel room. The reason Infiltration's Intel room works is because it's so large that sentries can't lock down the entire area at once and the routes leading up to it are also reasonably big so you can prepare for a push without getting spammed out or blindsided by defenders.

If the Intel area was opened up a bit more with more streamlined routes it would be far more appealing to push into last. Additionally, having shutter doors into last is a tad counter-intuitive because it makes sentries and traps far more dangerous if you can't see them before you're in their range.

One other thing you could take from Infiltration is the way RED get a forward spawn when the flag has been taken. They get a shortcut further up the map to intercept the flag carrier. In Octopus, once BLU had the flag out of the Intel room it was pretty much impossible to stop them getting out, let alone reach the helicopter in time.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Yeah, even with the slow cap time on the point. I found that nobody could ever reach it in time other than Scouts. Once we realized that the intel wasn't at home. It just became a mad rush to get to the point, which then as soon as any class capable of doing damage to the 15,000 people on the point, we lost, and got slaughtered for our efforts.

I'm gonna take some pictures and give A1 the MS Paint treatment to show you what i think could happen to the map.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Ravioli Ravioli give me the feedbackioli

NUKO3cy.png

My problem with this area is that RED has no foothold. It is where BLU spawns, but when the flag is here, you can't stop the capture of it due to how much of an advantage BLU has over RED in all places here.

UJJGOJ8.png

This opening door wasn't noticed by one god damn person. The problem is that when your intel is out of the base, THE LAST PLACE YOU WANT TO BE IS YOUR SPAWN!

H8ht5gR.png

Add a one way window benefiting BLU here

5Y2fyud.png

Remove the kits and add a ramp to help BLU here, maybe move the intel a bit away to compensate. Oh and make the door right by the ramp one way, so BLU players can't just spam and duck out of RED spam easily.

JwAvtaD.png

Here's and overview with all the changes I recommended, and some others ones.

The building right next to BLU spawn that you can go into should be extended a bit. I recommend this so that when BLU is capping, RED has a decent place to enter and attempt to spam them off of the cap zone.

As for the Orange thing next to the current shortcut thing. I'd make that a forward spawn that any respawning RED players can use to get to BLU's base much quicker.

I can't really think of any thing else that I can put into definitive words, so hopefully this helps you improve A2. I thought the map had some interesting combat, and I'm always up for a non-standard TF2 experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.