Occluder "" straddles multiple areas. This is invalid!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by S.W.A.T.Y, Jul 2, 2009.

1. S.W.A.T.Y

S.W.A.T.Y Banned

Positive Ratings:
    Im trying to put some occluders in my map but I get this in my compile log

Occluder "" straddles multiple areas. This is invalid!

I read all the tutorials about them and im 100% sure that I set them up correctly. Is it ok if I leave my map with that error?

2. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Well... it is invalid... are you okay with it not functioning correctly? Might as well remove it if so.

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Yea, i'm not sure whether this would disable the occluders functionality ingame as occluders take quite a bit of memory to function as they work in real time. You might as well remove it as nine suggested. Whether or not it will add to the other memory demand due to the error i'm not sure, but might as well remove it to be safe.

edit: ninja post, nvm, looks like it doesn't disable it's functionality ingame.

4. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    i use occluders in csw_rc2 and i got the same errors, still it works perfectly and it helped my fps

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    What I've figured is valve changed the occluder code for the Orange Box engine but never updated VBSP with the new rules.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm now getting this same error. So what's the verdict? It works fine in game and the error messages are not accurate (that is if you have them set up right, ex: not touching areaportals) or they are accurate and they will be invalid, although they should not be because they are set up just as valve maps have them set up?

7. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I know this is an old post, but I have an answer for this issue.

I've been working on a map and I got this issue after creating some areaportal brushes. I tried everything but nothing have worked, until I removed these recently created areaportal brushes, which fixed the issue.

8. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I've had this error come up in the compile log, but it's never actually caused me any issues in-game.

9. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    Ah, that explains it. The an area portal defines an area (it splits it into 2 areas). And an occluder may not touch both. Its a similar thing to an area portal leak.

10. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    ive always ignored this error and had no problems

and of course removing areaportals will get rid of the error, remove portals and you're generally left with a single area so no multiple areas for the occluder to straddle

11. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    I've read somewhere that this error message was for an older version of occluders. apparently this "problem" is fixed now but they never updated the compiler

edit: wait, that's like, exactly what booj said

12. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    6 freaking years ago :)