Obligatory 10th Class Idea >_>

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Alright, here goes nothing. I've tried and tried to think of a 10th class that made sense, in that it filled a niche that was both useful but not overly powerful. That niche, as far as this class is concerned, is that of a support class that must be near the action to function and when the enemy spams recklessly can turn their fire into a valuable advantage. The key, though, is that it's not a very survivable class despite it's very obvious power, in that it HAS to be near both a source of metal and in the line of fire to benefit, but otherwise has no reason to just stay stuck to his teammates, because he can't charge up that way. Thus, in a way, this is the offensive version of the medic. And so, I bring you The Tech!

The Tech
175 HP/100% speed
Asian tech stereotype in electrician's clothing, dark, face visor etc. Has battery on back, rechargeable up to 150 energy, which works like metal and is resupplied by ammo. Wears heavy gloves, elbow and knee pads, gadgets all over waist. Has EMP charge bar that is filled by preventing damage on teammates, equal to 1% per 12 damage prevented, or resupplying teammates (1% per resupply).
Railgun
Pistol sized high tech infinite range gun that shoots team colored energy bolts, does 27-35 damage each and uses five energy per shot. Shoots slowly, slightly faster than one shot/sec.
NanoBeam
Medigun like gadget that functions similarly with sticky beam, must be in sight, has same range. Beam is crackling team-colored electrical sparks to target. Targeted teammates are immune to knockback & receive 50% less damage. Restores metal to friendly engineers equivalent to five metal/one sec; restores ammunition (to reserve ammo, not directly to the clip) at a rate of one clip/two sec. Three energy are used for each resupply. When stacked with a Medic’s medigun halves the effects of both, but the knockback is still absolute.
Crowbar
Normal melee, looks like crowbar from Half Life 2. 45-85 damage, 195 critical, normal rate of fire.
EMP Cannon
Special heavy laser shoulder-fired weapon. Takes three seconds to charge up, making a whirring sound, slowing tech while charging. Can only be released at full EMP charge. Upon firing is nearly instantaneous, shooting a wave of team colored energy with a slight arc. Upon hit removes all ammo from a sentry or dispenser & deals medium damage, destroys all an enemy’s reserve ammo & deals medium damage, removes enemy disguises or sappers, and detonates nearby explosives.
Jet Pack
Activated with a right click, the jet back engages a small burst of air, propelling the tech forward at a 45 degree angle and allows hovering as long as there is energy. The jet uses energy at a rate of thirty/sec and attains a moderate speed. The jet is deactivated with a second right click. While in mid air weapons may be fired like normal, but any damage received will cause the jet pack to fail and lose height.

Ideas for Appearance

The Railgun: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/EM15-2.jpg/300px-EM15-2.jpg

Electrician

Geek/Agent

Last edited:

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
I like the idea of a support that works more through damage mitigation, would be a great boon as a defensive staple and offensive support.

Reading over the description though, one thing sticks out to me: The EMP sounds wayyyy overpowered. 0 ammo for everything + damage + mitigating spies + explosive neutralization? Wow, that's a bit much. That sucker needs some serious toning down.

The nanobeam itself sounds interesting, but like the medic's ubercharge it might need some sort of a bonus for using it repeatedly on teammates, to encourage the tech to work with his role.

Appearance wise, I rather like the geeky tinkerer/professional look, and the electrician sounds like it would be a bit too similar to the engie.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The EMP sounds wayyyy overpowered.

The nanobeam itself sounds interesting, but like the medic's ubercharge it might need some sort of a bonus for using it repeatedly on teammates, to encourage the tech to work with his role.
Don't you see it? It's so clear. the EMP can be the ubercharge you get to use for nanobeaming your team mates for extended time. :p

Though I don't think the class really works... It's basically giving him everything the engy had in TF1... which he could very well just receive himself in the form of unlockables.

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
interesting concept, although he to me sounds a little too offensive. In my eyes a support class should not really be able to support himself on the front lines. IE, the medic can't really do jack-dandy without someone to be his bigger stick. This class to me should have very little solo offensive power and put his duties exclusively in resupplying teammates. Much like the medic gets points for assists in healing, this guy could get points for resupplying teammates. An ability that might be something to consider, "The ability to carry a larger than normal supply of ammo. If The Tech so chooses to sacrifice some of his precious ammo, he can drop an ammo box on the ground for friendlies to pick up. But must be careful to drop it in a safe place as a sneaky spy or a quick scout could run in and snatch the ammo box up and use against them."

Just an idea that popped off the top of my head there.

Other than that, i like your premise of a new support class, the game relies very heavily on the offense classes and kind of shafts the support classes into a role no one really wants to play. But if there was more support classes, it would partially force more support roles and possibly coax more people into playing them and thus playing more as a team and not 15 solo players and 1 medic to support them all. Vice versa, 15 defenders killing everyone, and 1 engineer guarding the point to scream "OH CRAP GUY ON THE POINT!" and then all 15 guys rush back to rescue the point bla bla you know what i mean.

I support the addition of more support classes

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yeah personally I doubt there ever will be a 10th class. That said, I think that a support class that can do damage is a niche to be filled. Being that he's only effective when he's in battle, by starting a fight he can make himself useful and draw enemies and allies to exchange blows... The thing is that it's a paradox of sorts because his real job is to capitalize on enemies spamming to put into one burst (The EMP) which basically FORCES the enemy to retreat.

The only things I'm not sure about are how the medigun/nanobeam would meld and how or if the jetpack is useful. I added it rather last minute hoping that it would give the tech some advanced techniques, especially in competition. My hope is that giving the tech just enough to make one nice rocket-jump-sized burst will make him a suitable replacement for an offensive class on a push onto a vertical point (think Badlands Spire).

^^

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
My hope is that giving the tech just enough to make one nice rocket-jump-sized burst will make him a suitable replacement for an offensive class on a push onto a vertical point (think Badlands Spire).

^^

that is an awesome idea, i love that. A support class that can assist rocket/grenade jumpers so they might have a fighting chance instead of going on a hail-marry suicide run everytime

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I echo pretty much what ABS said, It's the TFC engi; which, has yet to be outfitted with unlockables.

Said unlockables which would likely render this class redundant.

I'm not sure i like the idea of a jetpack with sustained lift, but something that allows you to 'boost' jump twice as high or something (a limited amount of times, 3, or even just once), might allow for more interesting engineer positions within maps. Although, people would probably just dispenser climb-exploit anyway to save a item slot or something if it came to it. But i guess it's a trade of for time etc.

Ever since they removed armour (and with it the engineers ability to repair said armour), and the ability to drop excess ammo for team mates, the engineer's field-team based usefulness/dexterity has been reduced. Not so much due to the teleporters. But more so in a practible combat environment manner.