Objects/Entities

Hildreth's Will

L1: Registered
Nov 24, 2008
Hi there.

I am a long time tf2 player and beginning to start mapping. Now I have learnt a lot of the basics with textures, walls, doors, respawn rooms....etc

However, when it comes to placing objects, I have no idea. I am still getting used to how Hammer works, so I am guessing if I want to create an object (not custom made at this point - I am not advanced enough yet) such as a Sofa or Desk or perhaps some barrels or something basic like that, I would have to use the entity tool?

Any helpers or people who could point me in the directions of a good tutorial, I am stil learning to navigate this particular website. Thanks in advanced.

*edit - for the sake of saving threads, I would also like to know a bit more about adding symetrical bases, i am working on a basic ctf map, but I am planning to complete one building and copy it and rotate it so it is exactly opposite, do I have to select EVERY object individually or is there an easier method?

I am sorry if there is another thread like this, I couldn't find one.

Last edited:

Blindfate

Nov 2, 2008
I'm new to mapping too, but for objects you can create an entity, select "prop_static", apply, then select a model for it.

If you press ctrl+a it will select everything on screen for you to rotate it. :)

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
For precise rotation, use ctrl+m

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
For things like a desk or barrel, a model/entity is best. As for symmetry, simply drag a selection box over the stuff you want and hit enter to select it.

Hildreth's Will

Nov 24, 2008
Thanks, you have all been helpful. I may also have a crack at creating my own object by reading the tutorials. :)