obj_sentrygun help

rjackson

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2009
Hey there.

Is there a way I can use both a red and blue obj_sentrygun next to each other, without them shooting each other, and is there a way I can stop them running out of ammunition.

Thanks

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
There was a question like this beforehand, you cant stop the sentries from running out of bullets but there is a work around.

It would involve you using two time delayed platforms, 2 platforms already at ground level with one red and one blue sentry on it, delayed for, for example, 3 minutes. Then you would have another 2 sentries, one red and one blue, either behind or infront of the other two, below the ground in a compartment with a delay time the same as the ones that are above the ground.

So, you have 4 sentries, 2 that are above, and 2 below. When the delay expires, the "active" two sentries drop down into their compartment, and the "inactive" two come up and replace the other 2.

That way you get a cool effect with some moving objects ect. You could even have an output that is delayed to disable the 2 that drop down, so incase the bullets havent fully run out it doesnt glitch / act weird.

The way to block each sentry from shooting each other is to use tool textures between the 2 sentrys, you would need, i think, Block LOS and Block Bullets.

This will prevent the sentrys from looking at each other and block any bullets fired between them. The two you need look like:

and

Note: im not sure if the texture part works (untested) but the bit about the platforms and 3 sentries will def work.

I hope that works / is of any use. Thats all i can think of atm, but maybe my basis can inspire some more replies and more great input for you =]

rjackson

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2009
Hmm, I put some 'glass' sections around the guns so they don't shoot each other. So, if I disable and re-enable the sentry, it will reset it's ammo count?

Or did I misunderstand.

The sentry's will likely be shooting for...hours and it ideally shouldn't run out of ammo.

edit:
Alright, I can destroy the sentry guns with the "Kill" input. How would I get them to respawn?

Last edited:

Owlruler

L12: Fabulous Member
Dec 10, 2008
make a point template and make it forcespawn. put the sentry's name in the list of objects to spawn though.