NPC's? In TF2?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Forthex, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Forthex

Forthex L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on my first map, and when my mapping in hammer is near completion, I need/want/like to make some custom models for it. A car, a some construction pylons, a lamppost maybe... I already downloaded the XSI Mod Tool, I just have to learn it (brand new to 3D CAD too!).

Anyway, I thought came across my mind: NPC's. Are they possible? Even in a non-animated, posable, simple form? For example, in an inaccessible but visible room, you see an engy standing and looking at one of the console computers in a thinking pose. Or a spy sitting ion a bench reading a newspaper?

My ultimate, pipe dream goal with this is to place a heavy sitting down in a van, in the driver's seat, with full facial expression in a glorious recreation of K. C. Green's TF2 "Sword Van" comic we all (should!) know and love.

So, NPC's? animated or completely still... is it possible?

2. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
    ....using bot or prop_dynamic...

3. Memento Mori

Memento Mori L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can definately get them in there if they aren't going to move. Not sure how you pose them though.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I think it would be a dynamic prop, that you would want to have set using a looped subtle animation, set to "fire" at random intervals. An animation you would probably have to produce yourself. In this case it wouldn't be an NPC in a traditional sense, so it would make things simpler for you. So you could do it, i am just unsure as to whether you can actually compile an npc model as a dynamic prop, i would presume yes as it has dynamic capabilities already.. but don't quote me on that.

If not, then you'll have to save it with dynamic functions or something, i am not sure of the modelling literacy here, i don't model, i just use them.

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Yup. I've put in player models as prop_dynamic.

6. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    You might also try prop_ragdoll.

7. Forthex

Positive Ratings:
    Is there a way I could pose the models in gmod and export them?

8. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You said you were using XSI, can you not pose them in that, then compile/save them as a new file?

9. Forthex

Positive Ratings:
    "Using", sorry to say, is not the best word to describe what I'm doing, or rather not doing, with xsi. I just downloaded xsi and that's it. I haven't even open the program yet! So I'm a complete newbie.

I guess xsi is the way to go...

great, now I've got to go through the mess of decompiling everything.

Thanks for your time.