1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Now that you've played the artpass map, is it fun?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by tyler, Oct 19, 2010.

1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I've played the winning entries and others and uh, I kind of feel like Valve should retool some of it. The rounds seem very long and protracted and frankly kind of boring.

I'm not really sure what they'd do, or how -- ask the winners to redo whatever they change? Do it themselves in the spirit of the map?

After capping A especially it gets a little dull. I'm thinking the huge wall needs to get a doorway facing B or something, because... yikes. And god forbid you don't have a teleporter.

But maybe it's better elsewhere? What do you guys think about it?

2. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    After playing so many of the entires, It has kinda grown on me. All except that first cap time.....i want that cut by 5 seconds.

3. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, I like it more now than I did originally.

In fact, I hated it so much before some of the detailed versions that I quit a test when it was first played. I was so convinced the map was terrible that when it came time to play the detailed versions my expectations were as low as they could be. When I actually tried a full round though, I had more fun than I'd expected, so I actually sort of like it.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, cap times seem really off, don't they? Just adds to the slowness of the map.

5. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I kept wanting to do that too. That walk is LONG and leaves that corner of the map (blue spawn side) almost completely unused.

It's set at 40 seconds, which from experience is 40 seconds for a scout or 80 seconds for any other class (sans Pain Train). It's exceedingly long, most first points are set at 20 to 30 seconds (40 and 60 for a x1 speed).

(Note: This may be completely bullshit, its based on when I was making my first map and went "this isn't capping in 10 seconds..." and watching the clock).

6. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    long cap on A is for red team to prepare on B
    red is supposed to give up on A and start defending B as soon as blue started capping A
    no way you can defend B with a shorter cap time on A.
    sitting on the point is boring. but thats just how the map has been balanced, sadly

7. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    You can tell it was an early map (i.e. dustbowl, 2fort, well, hell even gpit and granary are meh.)

a lil bit better than the original 6, but not as good as newer maps like blands/bwater/etc..

8. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    That's right -- it's been sitting around a long time, hasn't it?

It's amazing the entity work is so clean.

9. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Maps magically play better when they are more visually pleasing, don't they?

10. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Valve should slightly alter the buildings in a way that barely affects gameplay, but completely alters the geometry, forcing everybody to re-detail it.

11. tyler

Positive Ratings:
  12. Draser

Draser L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    and after that, they should replace all the textures of the winning maps, and re-do the entire thing XD

13. Arnold

Arnold L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    and after that they should scale the entire map down 3.75%

14. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    If they do all that, there might be like ONE vertice on the grid. Maybe.

But no, I'm waiting for them to actually go official. I don't want 2 copies of them on me hard-drive.

15. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    i think the gameplay is a little off, but it's not actually bad. There's only one real route until B, when it splurges out into a bit of a mess. But there's no huge sightlines, and even charging from a to B as pyro is fun, and had it been a little longer it could easily have not been. The big changes in height advantages about B are fun, even if i personally find C a bit Meh.

16. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Forward spawn for final point.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  17. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't test them into real play yet, it will be a total surprise ^^

18. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    This^

The walk time to C is horrible.

19. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    No. Get a teleporter.

Seriously, the walk is not that long...

20. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    walk time to c could be worse... though i tend to play faster classes, i admit.

My objection to c is that the outflanking routes are far too long, and come out in a position not worth their length