(NOT Fixed) MvM Tank Falling Through Grate

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Da Spud Lord, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Shitty Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hello,

So I decided to start detailing mvm_cargoship. I replaced the floor of the bomb hatch area with a metal grate, with the plan of adding stuff underneath of it (as an out-of-bounds area). Unfortunately, I recently discovered that the tank now falls through the grate whenever it reaches it. I'm guessing it has to do with the metal grate texture, as everything was working fine before I changed the texture. I tried creating a clip brush around the grate, but the tank still fell through. You can see a video attached below. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    I've found that the tank falls through func details for some reason. Did you try using playerclip? Because that fixed it in my case.

3. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    I'll try playerclip, but it's not func_detail.

4. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Is it func_illusionary or func_brush set to not solid?

5. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    Nope, it's a world brush. Playerclip didn't work either.

6. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    Problem's fixed now, adding a nodraw func_detail brush seemed to do the trick.
    EDIT: This caused some of my textures to not appear, presumably because of the nodraw. I guess it's not fixed.

7. Mikroscopic

aa Mikroscopic

Positive Ratings:
    This reminds me of Big Rigs Over the Road Racing.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I got an idea, how about making the grate thicker and moving the keyframe_track up about 5units?

9. ITstumbler

ITstumbler L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Block bullets texture is the answer... (EDIT: It's not. No tool texture does except nodraw)

EDIT: Guessing from the video, I think you're using the texture "metalgrate013a2". The VMT file is quite interesting, it had this:

"%compilepassbullets" 1

Perhaps this is the problem? Maybe try using reck_metalgrate013a2 texture instead?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  10. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    block bullets isn't solid to tanks either. Invisible doesn't work either. The only thing I've found to work is model collision models or nodraw -

however, try either a nodraw tied to func_clip_vphysics (this should stop it culling faces) or a func_brush with Solid BSP set to YES. I haven't tested these myself yet but one should work

11. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    In case the methods above don't work, there's an idea I had; since tanks tend to move on displacements, you could create a invisibledisplacement brush and clip it over (just for players, not the tank), which may correct the problem.

12. ITstumbler

Positive Ratings:
    Just tested it. Didn't work.

13. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Note that I didn't suggest the clipping for the fix; it's optional.

14. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    I tried that, it didn't work.

Neither of those worked. However, I did find a method using a func_detailed nodraw brush. I made it so that it doesn't touch or overlap any other brush faces, including making it 1hu below the grate. That seemed to do the trick.

15. Da Spud Lord

Positive Ratings:
    Bumping this and looking for more solutions. The brush is now casting lightmap shadows.

16. ITstumbler

Positive Ratings:
    Is necromancy a thing in these forums?

Back on topic, maybe you could make a new vmt file? The metal grates vmt file seemed to be... Special.

17. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Wouldn't call a bump of just over a month a necrobump imo

If all else fails, you might just need to just use a different texture altogether

Tags: