Nonsolid Nodraw?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Unregistered HyperCam 2, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Unregistered HyperCam 2

Unregistered HyperCam 2 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I need a non solid world brush with nodraw properties for a very specific reason, the closest thing I got is a closed areaportal.
    I tried using this material but it's solid in game:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "Tools/toolsnodraw"
        "%compilenosolid" 1
        "%compilenodraw" 1
    }
    So apparently this exists but I do not own that game and the game developers might have modded the engine to create this material.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. Coding Ethan

Coding Ethan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Are you looking for the hall-of-mirrors effect, but non-solid?
    [​IMG]

3. Harritron

Harritron L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could always tie nodraw to a func_brush and then set it to be never solid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Unregistered HyperCam 2

Positive Ratings:
    Not exactly what I'm looking for but it could work, I'm using a 1:1 scale 3d skybox to create something similar to a linked portal door.
    Using an entity wouldn't block visiblity or render the skybox, the whole point is to use world brushes..

5. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Why won't a closed areaportal work?

6. Unregistered HyperCam 2

Positive Ratings:
    Oh it does but I want it to not render from behind, for that I'd need to create two 'seperate' areas (in terms of visiblity) that you can actually go through. Something like an anti func_viscluster.

7. theatreTECHIE

aa theatreTECHIE Yet another Techie for the net...

Positive Ratings:
    There is a trigger_teleport and trigger_teleport_relative that you could use. Then just have it such that the teleport moves players in front of the other trigger. (With each area being in a completely separate vis)

World brushes that are rendered are always solid as far as I know, and it’s only entity brushes and displacements that you can make non-solid, which don’t block vis.

8. Unregistered HyperCam 2

Positive Ratings:
    It has to be non solid otherwise the teleportation won't be realistic because of how the 3D skybox works. The reason I made this thread is to see if your second point is true..