ARENA Noire

May 25, 2015
This is the second map I've ever made for TF2. This time, it's an arena map. I've taken the feedback from my previous map seriously, and I hope this map will turn out better. First of all, it is notably bigger and have a lot of open spaces. I'm also releasing this during development to see what the community think could improve this map and make it even better.
All feedback is appreciated.

License:
Do not redistribute the map without permission from the author.
Do not claim the map as your own.
Feel free to use it on your server. If you do, I would appreciate it if you told me.

Other notes:
There are 6 small ammopacks, 4 medium ammopacks and 2 large ammopacks in this map. There are no healthpacks.
There are two control points. They become available after 60 sceonds (one minute).

Last edited:
S

saph

This map has a good start. I think it could use a little tuning, but for the first alpha, it is balanced and has a nice layout. Some thoughts:
  • The map is very open, even for the tunnels. I like rocket jumping throughout them, but I think they should be enclosed a bit more. The point should have a bit more cover in my opinion, maybe some crates or small huts towards the mid-to-tunnel area. Some of the buildings, like the top rooms can have a person hiding in the back, crouching, completely unseen. I would move the back wall towards mid at least 64 units to help avoid hiding players.
  • The top rooms (with windows) are great. I could rocket/sticky jump to the windows. The only thing I'd say is that if you want the players to fall down the hole (where the sliding door/hatch and small health is), you might want the trigger texture bigger. I easily grabbed the health without falling because the hatch sometimes pulled me towards the solid floor.
  • The theme looks city-like. I would make the tunnels sewers and maybe have them connect under the control point (in a small room). I know detailing should be a minimum, but some more props around mid would be nice. I would make some of the buildings a bit smaller (to add some variation in the environment around the players).
  • Also, build cubemaps.

It's pretty good so far, I'd like to see where it ends up.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. I'll add these things now and update the post as soon as I can.

I would make the tunnels sewers and maybe have them connect under the control point (in a small room).

I allready had a plan for that tunnel. You'll see in the next update.

EDIT: Ok, download and description has been updated now. Download it again to play the new version of the map.

Last edited:

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Damn, I just took some screenshots as well. ;n;

Anyway: The outdoor areas are rather dark. Not unplayably dark, but dark enough to be off-putting. Seeing as it's a city-themed map, you could stick some lampposts around the place to make the map nicer to look at.

These tunnels are rather empty and featureless, even for alpha. A bit of cover wouldn't go amiss. Not a huge concern though.

I'm also noticing that there's quite a lot of health lying around for an Arena map. It's not necessarily a requirement for Arena maps to have very little health, but having a lot of health might lead to rounds getting a little drawn-out.

Finally, I'm not sure what this hatch is for. Is it meant to open? Because it didn't.

• Also, build cubemaps.

I wouldn't worry too much about cubemaps in alpha, unless the map in question has a lot of glass and water (and any other reflective textures).

May 25, 2015
The outdoor areas are rather dark.
I might add some lights around the walls to light it up temporary.

Seeing as it's a city-themed map...
Who ever said it was going to be city themed? I mean, it is going to be city themed once I get to that part in development, but just so you know, I could've made this anhything, like... space themed?

I'm also noticing that there's quite a lot of health lying around for an Arena map.
There are 3 health kits in the entire map... Is that too much?

Finally, I'm not sure what this hatch is for. Is it meant to open? Because it didn't.
It unlocks once you've picked up the healthkit, and locks once it respawns.

These tunnels are rather empty and featureless, even for alpha.
I just updated this map, like an hour ago. Did you download it before that? Try and download it again to see the changes I made in Alpha 1a. If it doesn't show up, I'll check the archive and see if I put in the wrong version of the map. The map filename is supposed to be arena_noire_alpha1a.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Who ever said it was going to be city themed? I mean, it is going to be city themed once I get to that part in development, but just so you know, I could've made this anhything, like... space themed?
Well in my defence, it feels quite city-like already. And everyone else in the thread is calling it a city map.

There are 3 health kits in the entire map... Is that too much?
Again, it's not a huge problem. Just bear in mind that normally there's no more than one small health kit in an entire Arena map. Just put the map up for a test and see if they become too much of an issue or not.

I just updated this map, like an hour ago. Did you download it before that? Try and download it again to see the changes I made in Alpha 1a. If it doesn't show up, I'll check the archive and see if I put in the wrong version of the map. The map filename is supposed to be arena_noire_alpha1a.
Yeah sorry, I managed to take these screenshots immediately before you released the new version. I like this version a lot better; the underground tunnels now feel like a train station!

One thing though, rather than using "alpha1" and all that, just use "a1". Less effort on everyone's part.

S

saph

I wouldn't worry too much about cubemaps in alpha, unless the map in question has a lot of glass and water (and any other reflective textures).
First off, thank you for the tip Ms. Mudpie. I always do it, but I guess you're right. As long as there's not a lot of glass, you don't have to build it in alpha.

Now, on to the map. I see a lot of improvement from the first version. I would make the tunnels are 240-250 units on each length (side and height). You could even add the sewer like in 2Fort. The map is still very open, so having at least a few narrower corridors will help balance the map for Soldiers, Pyros, and Spies. Overall, this update made a lot of geometry better. The point is a lot better with those few crates. I would remove the two health packs above the trap door because it allows Snipers to camp easily up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 25, 2015
What would you think if I put the control point down in the tunnels instead?
This is just a thought, and I'm most likely not going to do it. But I just played it 1v1 and didn't really feel like going down there to get the health kit too much.

Feel free to come with opinions on this or add your own ideas.

May 25, 2015
I thought the map was a little complicated for arena

Really? Wich particular part do you mean, so I can simplify it?

EDIT:
New version available!
Changelog:
+ Added geometry arches.
+ Added a platform underneath the healthkit.
* Brightened the map.
- Removed the healthkits over the trapdoors.
* The trapdoors are now allways unlocked.
* Updated screenshots.

Last edited: