Nodraw Areaportals

cadeonehalf

L1: Registered
Oct 19, 2009
I'm attempting to optimize my map ctf_geneseefalls, but all of my func_areaportals are rendering with the same effect as a visible nodraw surface- that kind of tunnel look. They open once I run through them, but I have the func_areaportal set to initial state open, so this problem shouldn't even arise.

After searching this forum, I gather most of the time that's due to leaks. Problem is, my map no longer generates a pointfile when compiling, so I'm certain there aren't any leaks. What else can cause this problem?

Cynick

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 7, 2010
Maybe a dumb question, but: you are using the areaportal texture on ALL faces of the brush, correct?

If so, like Joodude said it's probably an areaportal clipping issue of some kind.

EDIT: Also, make sure your areaportals are only one brush per areaportal entity.

Last edited:

megawac

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 2, 2009
The area portals arent set to closed are they?

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Another thing to keep in mind is: Don't make all the brushes for all the areaportals and then select them all and alt+enter = fun_areaportal that's not good. You have to make each brush it's own func_areaportal and then you can "group" them after you have made each individual portal.

But yea, if you didn't do that then either A) an areaportal has coming back around to touch itself, which in this case you would want to create a pointfile via the option menu in hammer. Or B) ... ... umm... it's either the initial point or point A! erm...