no shadows

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
In my map, shadows only work for 1 of the props. The other props as well as all my brushes don't have shadows...
any help?

red3pit

High on melancholy
aa
Dec 3, 2016
Isn't your map fullbright? Have you placed light_environment?

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
Isn't your map fullbright? Have you placed light_environment?
Shadows appear even without any lighting in the map as long as they're set to Medium/High in Video settings. Perhaps what OP needs is the shadow_control entity to modify the shadows' origin.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
Here: what it looks like after the shadow control is done
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1092921726
Keep in mind that, for some reason, the negative pitch from the light_environment entity must be a positive one in shadow_control's angles. E.g:

light_environment - Angles: 0 109 0 | Pitch: -35
shadow_control - Angles: 35 109 0

EDIT: even if a map doesn't have a light_environment entity, shadow_control's Pitch angle must be Positive so the shadows will be drawn properly, and not "up".

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Keep in mind that, for some reason, the negative pitch from the light_environment entity must be a positive one in shadow_control's angles. E.g:

light_environment - Angles: 0 109 0 | Pitch: -35
shadow_control - Angles: 35 109 0

EDIT: even if a map doesn't have a light_environment entity, shadow_control's Pitch angle must be Positive so the shadows will be drawn properly, and not "up".
well that's dodgy. Thanks

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Also, it looks like you've placed your props as prop_dynamic instead of prop_static. That should be reserved for props that you actually intend to move, or disappear, or otherwise do something during the round.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
I have no idea what angle to do though
Generally you don't want to copy the pitch from the light environment. Instead you want shadows to point down as long stretched dynamic shadows are kinda bad.
What kind of pitch yaw roll would you recommend? I want it to sort of match up with the light

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Also, it looks like you've placed your props as prop_dynamic instead of prop_static. That should be reserved for props that you actually intend to move, or disappear, or otherwise do something during the round.
I have my entities set to prop_dynamic as default because some aren't supported as static and I CBA to individually check and change

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
I have my entities set to prop_dynamic as default because some aren't supported as static and I CBA to individually check and change
Terrible idea. If you are using props that HAVE to be dynamic you are likely doing it wrong already. You can easily check which one (static/dynamic) to see while you are still selecting the mode. Just click on the "info" tab in the model browser.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
Terrible idea. If you are using props that HAVE to be dynamic you are likely doing it wrong already. You can easily check which one (static/dynamic) to see while you are still selecting the mode. Just click on the "info" tab in the model browser.
I know. the model tab is slightly awkward to navigate though. Would you recommend props being set to prop_static by default?

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
And I'll explain why it's a terrible idea: dynamic props count towards the entity limit and are more expensive than static props. Also, their shadows stick out like a sore thumb. I would recommend making prop_static the default.
damn. I only changed it to prop_dynamic over static because a few models were disappearing and none were after it went to dynamic. However, I have recently noticed the huge improvements when using staticproppolys and the commands related to those. Thanks for the advice

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The only stock props that should have to be dynamic are ones with animations (the grandfather clock, the Powerhouse turbines) and players, weapons, and cosmetic items.

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
I have no idea what angle to do though

As I mentioned before, you may set it to use your light_environment's angles but inverting the Pitch
(e.g: light_environment: -65 219 0 → shadow_control: 65 219 0)

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
As I mentioned before, you may set it to use your light_environment's angles but inverting the Pitch
(e.g: light_environment: -65 219 0 → shadow_control: 65 219 0)
And as I said before, using the suns' angle for dynamic shadows usually looks terrible.

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
And as I said before, using the suns' angle for dynamic shadows usually looks terrible.
If you're talking about the case of a shadow being projected "from below", that's because you're not inverting the Pitch.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
If you're talking about the case of a shadow being projected "from below", that's because you're not inverting the Pitch.
No, I'm saying that using the same pitch just straight up doesn't look good. It's better if the dynamic shadows point more downwards than normal shadows are, for example a pitch of 75 when the sun is 50.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
No, I'm saying that using the same pitch just straight up doesn't look good. It's better if the dynamic shadows point more downwards than normal shadows are, for example a pitch of 75 when the sun is 50.
thanks