No entities showing when running map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Federal-Foe, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Federal-Foe

Federal-Foe L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I guess this is just some kind of option in my hammer that is messed up or something, but when I run a map, I just get my grey floor, inside the skybox.

I place an entitie by clicking on "prop_physics", then doubleclick it, and select a prop.

It shows in hammer, in every screen. But when I run my map, all the entities are gone... :mellow:

I've asked some people with mapping-experience already, and they said "I don't know, that never happened to me".

Any idea how I can fix this?

2. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    try a prop_static

3. Federal-Foe

Federal-Foe L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    what is the difference between the statics and the physics then?

4. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    it probably isnt the cause of your issue, but you should try it as you never know. the difference is that a prop_static is for a model that will not move when shot at, or does not have any animation. a prop_dynamic will budge when shot, or the model itself has an animation.

5. kwagner

kwagner L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Some models only work as prop_static, or prop_dynamic, or prop_physics. I've not yet learned how to tell the difference. So when I need on I've taken to loading three copies, one as each prop_ type, into a sandbox map (that compiles and runs quickly) to see what does and doesn't work.

Drpepper, is there a way to tell the difference in Hammer before having to run the map?

6. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    there is a way to tell. highlight the prop in hammer and look at the preview screen and its details. it should say wheter its a dynamic or static prop.

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    This isn't a fool proof method though, especially for more HL2 props, they tend to lie a bit... but generally they'll give you the correct prop type to use.
    If in doubt use your head:
    does this prop have the ability to move? -> prop_dynamic
    Do I want this prop to get blasted all over the map (cones, beer bottles etc)? -> prop_physics
    Does it stay still all the time and never need to be hidden? -> prop_static