Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
- Sep 14, 2008
Shake off the snow and come in from the cold, because it's time to ring in the holidays with this year’s seasonal showcase of all-things festive - and this time around, we'll be spreading some Smissmas cheer for all to hear in more ways than one!
In addition to the routine community cornucopia of holiday cosmetics, weapons, maps, unusuals, taunts, and war paints, we'll also be welcoming this past year's community Halloween works to the table. We weren't able to host a Workshop of Horrors for this year's hauntings, so we’ll be making it up this way by sharing the spotlight in a multi-page spectacle for this year's Workshop Wonderland community showcase: Nightmare Before Smissmas!
If you'd like to take part, then we got you covered. Before you start decorating the proverbial Workshop Smissmas Tree, we have a list of rules and guidelines, as always - be sure to check it twice!
- All submissions on the Steam Workshop using our provided thumbnail template [see below] will be featured in the official collection, unless your submission has any of the following problems:
- Your submission must not feature a doctored promotional thumbnail that appears vastly different from the actual appearance of the item. Paintover appearances are of course acceptable, but we discourage thumbnails that add anything to the item that isn’t actually there. If your submission has this issue, we can always talk it out and later accept your submission if the proper changes are made.
- You also must be the true creator(s) of your submission. Blatant theft isn't as common as it used to be on the Workshop, but any submissions that are found to be stolen or use imagery made by unknowingly uncredited parties will be excluded from the collection.
- Any offensive imagery will be distanced from the collection. While that can be interpreted as subjective, we ask that contributors be respectful and use their best judgment. When in doubt, refer to Valve's own guidelines, found here.
- Any and all submissions should be submitted by December 17th, 2017! We can always add items to the collection after that date, but you’re more likely to have your work featured in promotional web assets if your work is on time. Ultimately, there is no true deadline, but it's good to have goals!
- Submissions can be a cosmetic item, weapon, war paint, taunt, unusual effect, or map. If it can be uploaded to the Workshop, it can be added to our collection! We fully understand how much time it takes for some of those submissions, but we fully encourage you to pursue your dreams and submit whatever you please!
- Remember, be constructive with your criticism.
- Rebranding your Halloween submissions is not entirely necessary for the showcase, but we ask that if you choose not to and still want your work featured that you let us know in the associated Discord servers, found below. You can also contact any of us on the team to have your work featured as well, but rebranding or using the Discord servers are the most efficient ways.
Let's cover some FAQ, then it's time to make some Smissmas!
Q. Is this official and/or endorsed by Valve?
A. Nope! Nightmare Before Smissmas continues this year as a completely community-created effort carrying the torch of past similar events such as Workshop of Horrors and Workshop Wonderland.
Q. Is this a call to arms like Jungle Inferno had?
A. Nightmare Before Smissmas has no association with any future TF2 updates, and is simply a showcase of what the community has made for the holidays and beyond. Valve is also not associated with the showcase.
Q. Will my work be made official if I submit to this project?
A. As much as we hope for everyone to have their work go official, this is ultimately not up to us! We wish the best of luck to those that contribute, and always remember that no matter what, these showcases are equal opportunity and will feature community work by any means necessary!
Q. I'm new to content creation, but I want to take part! How can I learn?
A. First off, if you're new, welcome aboard! Second, there are plenty of resources out there for the inquisitive beginner, and we welcome and encourage any new talent! To start, we recommend looking over this handy collection of resources. If you have more questions about creating your content, you can always ask below - or look for help on one of the many websites revolving around TF2 content creation, such as here, or Facepunch!
Q. Can I submit work that I've made prior to this announcement?
A. Of course! We encourage all sorts of work, new and old, as long as it uses this year's thumbnail template! And remember, Halloween items are included as well!
Q. How can I make sure my item is featured in the collection?
A. We'll do routine checks of the workshop to make sure any and all items are added to the collection once it's established, but if you're feeling that your submission was missed, please notify us in the thread, or contact us in the associated Discord servers found below.
Q. Who's working on this?
A. The veteran team of Fuzzy, Void, and Smashman will, as with years past, be hosting this year’s showcase.
Follow development through the threads on Facepunch and TF2Maps, as well as by joining the TF2 Emporium and TF2Maps Discord Servers and using the #smissmas channels!
We'll update the OP with any new information as time goes on!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year, so let’s make it count! Happy Holidays!