PLR Nightfall

Discussion in 'Map Showcase' started by Psy, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Winner of the CTFPLR contest, Nightfall is a 3-stage PLR map with a Sawmill setting which features a more freeflowing layout then it's big brother Pipeline and rounds which are guaranteed to end! If Dario Casali (creator of Goldrush, Badwater, Pipeline) loves it, I'm sure you will too!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Looking good, the sawmill skybox gives it a nice atmosphere.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Just a thing I noticed, I think that the final CP should be in a place of more importance; a simple gate doesn't really look appropriate. But then again, it's your call. There more stages, after all.

4. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    The gate was a spur of the moment thing. :p

This map will be up for playtesting Friday on the EU server. Hope to see some feedback posted here. :)

5. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Found a few problems. Good thing I fixed these before Friday's testing. D:

Alpha 3 - 25th June
    • Removed duplicate ammopack on Blu's side
    • Removed railing which caused sentry's visibility to be blocked

6. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    We got into a kind of stalemate situation on gameday today. Neither team could do the final push for a long time.
    Possible solutions to this could be: shorter tracks, less sentry spots, more health for attackers, oneway-passages.

I think the layout fits the style you're going with, keep it up!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Mandatory Gameday Bump!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It played well with 12 people and there was quite a nice spread of players throughout the map. There's probably too many strong sentry positions which caused each round to be drawn out which is why some suggested that it should be moved to Stage 2. I might go through with that depending on how my design for the next stage turns out.

Moving on, some of you thought that the team that pushes pass the middle first will most likely win however there was at least 1 round where BLU pushed past the middle and were pressuring RED for a good 5 minutes before they managed a comeback and won the round. It seemed pretty balanced to me but that's only over 4-5 rounds so more testing would need to be done to confirm if the problem really exists.

The placement of healthkits and ammopacks seemed fine though I feel that at least a small one could be placed in the small building to the north of each side which has the small ramp leading up to a perch. Some people were running back there on fire expecting there to be some health near-by.

What do you guys think? Was it brilliant as bacon or did it leave a bad taste in your mouth? :p

8. captainAngry

captainAngry L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
  9. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks captainAngry. I'll have a look later.

As for now, A4 is out! Check out the first post for new screenshots and changelog.

10. The Gentlemanne

The Gentlemanne L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looking good so far.Keep up the good work.I like the A/D idea.

11. Smetzle

Smetzle L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is only personal opinion, but the map doesn't really fell as if it's at night - more like a really rainy day. Maybe change the skybox/make it generally a bit darker. Other than that it was a fun map.

12. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Well, duh, it's an alpha. Do you really expect the art to be a true representation of the final map? :p

13. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Gameday bump!

Apart from the bug where the cart would get caught on the setupdoors, I thought it was a lot of fun. :)

Please leave comments, feedback, flames and the like!

14. Ten19

Ten19 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Definitely felt real solid, the various pathways seemed well-thought out, and it was fun to play! Just one suggestion, on the rock formations you have at the last stage, it's very easy to get stuck behind/in them, perhaps a bit of player clipping. See screenshot.

Otherwise well done and I look forward to seeing further progress :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

16. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I think this is a very fun map. Much more fun than Pipeline.

It may just be me, but it seemed easy to ninja-capture when most people were pushing in the other end. However, that might be a good thing, since it forces some people to defend and some to push, thus eliminating a lot of spam I should think.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks. That was what I was aiming for but it might be a bit more annoying after multiple plays but I guess we'll find out further down the line. ;)

18. captainAngry

captainAngry L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    A5 is out!

20. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    A friend of mine had a run around yesterday and provided a ton of feedback. So now it's an Alpha 6 which will the version going up for Gameday. :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009