Night-Maps!

Kernel

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007
About ten years ago, when i first started the modding scene i worked on a project called City-Nights for mohaa, that's where i got the idea to do something for tf2 with a similar feel. As this game is not really setup for night mapping, at least not in stock form, i have decided to do a side project with the stock maps. I have posted a few in-game shots of the first release of 2fort: HERE ( just click the 2fort beta image for the lightbox gallery.)

Aside from just converting the maps to night, i feel it would also be good to try and extend the usable areas of the map, as in 2fort you can now use the small rooms near each flag. I'm awaiting player feedback, before going any further, but aside from some models and textures, it's very easy to do the conversion. Aside from area portals and hammerid's the decompile process for this map has gone very well. I have a server setup now, using only this map at: 66.199.232.91 if you want to try it out. One final note, the map uses dod 9 sky textures, which is hdr supported untill i create a set for use with this conversion.

When asked why, i'll say why not!

Now playing 24/7: 208.167.247.171

Last edited:

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
Whoa....

I dont see why it wouldn't work. Alot of people are gonna cry that its too dark, but obviously, that was your intent. I commend you on your research and development. Ill check out 2fortn when I get a chance, Im very interested.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
2fort-night....thats gunna take AGES to play, no one will want to spend two weeks on one map :p ;)

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
I got a problem already with decompiling maps, want night maps? Make them.
Why not? Because this is just taking somebody his hard work and placing some lights, diffrent light_env settings and diffrent skybox. Changing the map? Why would you do that? The map is already perfect balanced????

Than the most important thing? Can you see the diffrence between blue and red in a dark environment? I can't.

Last edited:

Kernel

Nov 7, 2007
...either you love it or hate it. There is no in between. I'm doing it for a change of pace, and i'm not looking to take credit for it. That's all that needs to be said. You can also easily differntiate red and blue, and if you don't know the map already, then you haven't played the game. You'll also notice if ya play the server, it will say every 5 minutes that all credit goes to valve for the original map!

If you get lost, turn on your flashlight!

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
But you dont have a flashlight o_O

The message is nice on the other hand :)

Kernel

Nov 7, 2007
...that's the point, you don't get 2fort at night officially either.

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
LOL, Nice job decompiling and making it dark sir! Very well done...

Brandished

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 19, 2008
Is this map still running on that ip you provided? I can't seem to connect.

I couldn't connect either when I tried 2 weeks ago, I wanted to try it out as well. It's now been over a month since the first post, so I doubt it's up anymore. I think Kernal only ran it on a server for a few days.

I find 2fort as it is currently too prone to stalemates / turtling when you get more then 12 ~ 16 players on a server who know the map well.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
I like the idea, I don't like that you're just changing some things of the work that another has made.

Kernel

Nov 7, 2007
update: 2fort night is finally finished, and can be played here: 208.167.247.171 24/7 2FORT-NITE CONVERSION

The above server was just setup to beta test the toysoldiersmod, for now i have it setup with 2fortn.

As for those who feel it's just a decompile, and or that it shouldn't be done:

This map conversion is to showcase valve's work in a night theme. I make no claims of ownership. This map has gone through many aspects far beyond a simple decompile. I have modified the soundscape with owl sounds, added the photo vgui screen, modified more than half the light and glow entities, added dust_modes, moved the dod hdr night sky into tf2, many of the map models had to be removed, replaced, and or needed modified skins to project properly with a low light env. I had to add many no light brushes and other tricks on map models. I have modified and made accessible the break rooms in each intel. All id's from every enitity also had to be manually removed from hammer before compiling as well. As the tools valve used for the game are not the same as we have.

LOL, Nice job decompiling and making it dark sir! Very well done...

^It's not that simple.

I got a problem already with decompiling maps, want night maps? Make them.

^I can make a good night map, but no matter how good it is, more players would want to play a familiar map at night before taking the time to learn how to play on an unfamiliar map. Saying you have a problem with a decompiled map is not a good attitude to have if you want to be a modder. Snipergen, (and others who share this belief) i mean you no disrespect, but i can tell you that i have seen your type of responses for over ten years in the pc modding scene. ( all due to those who take this approach and try to claim credit for it.) Valve is more open to modding than any other game developer today, don't act like ea here. I claim no rights to this map, i'm just filling a void that does not exist. For those who decompile and try to claim credit for others work, target them with the negative response. Playing online is suppose to be fun, converting a map can be fun as well. Untill you see Jeff or another valve map maker complain about this, than you really don't have a reason to have a problem.

Play it, or don't play it, that's your choice. And yes i'll be doing the other stock maps as well!