Next major contest discussion

When would you like the contest to start?

• As soon as possible (1 day to 1 week)

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • As soon as possible, but extend slightly to allow people to recover from the 72HR (1 day to 1 week)

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • A short amount of time, for recovery from 72HR (1 week~)

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • A long amount of time, for recovery from 72HR (1 month~)

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I don't mind.

Votes: 13 13.3%

• Total voters

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I've added a vote regarding the start time of the contest. I'll post an update with some finalisations soon regarding the contest, then that'll be all until its' announcement.

Moonrat

nothing left
aa
Jul 30, 2014
Ugh, now I am torn.

Been workin on a DM map for TF2C, but if I pick this up I'll pretty much have to drop that.

I also have to decide if I'm even up for this contest, due to what happened with the 72Hr one. (Though on the good side I am fully ready for this)

And of course I have to decide if I want to fly solo, or attempt to find someone who believes I'd be a decent partner for a contest.

Sep 19, 2010
Money corrupts creativity. If anyone here is mapping for the money they are out of their mind.
Sure you might score a job if you get extremely good, but luck is heavily favoured against you. Do it because you love it, not for the monetary gain.
I don't think anyone here is mapping for money. If they were, they could have chosen a more profitable game than TF2.

I also don't think people enter these contests for the prizes. I think it's always been for bragging rights and always will be. That's TF2 in general. Top level players don't play for money, they play for the love of the game and to be the best.

I feel it's nice to have extra incentive though, and in my opinion, money is better than the other prizes (excluding the Mapper's Medallion).

Dec 28, 2014
I don't think anyone here is mapping for money. If they were, they could have chosen a more profitable game than TF2.

I'm sure some people make maps in the hope that they'll go official and get paid though I doubt it's the only motivating factor for people. TF2 is one of the very few games where community created maps can go official and community creators can get paid for their maps, there's not a lot of other games people can choose unless they want to get hired by a development studio.

Edit: Although I agree most people probably don't enter the contests here as the prizes as the primarily motivating factor.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
The issue though arises with something similar to what happened with Paid mods.

You drop money, an unused motivator, into a community that has developed without monetary motivation and it creates this not great rippling effect through the community. Some people ignore, other people don't. Some people will work REALLY HARD to get that money (for whatever reason), they'll do whatever they can. What they do can sometimes be extremely rude, disrespectful and not something that is not part of the normal community, an outlier attitude or action.

A lot of this is effected by how the monetary motivator is introduced, however. So it is somewhat managable, depending on the community.

tl;dr: Community management super analysis time that probably no one wanted to hear but you got it anyways. Woooooo

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Partial crosspost from modcave:
Not gonna turn this into a sob-story, but after some events I'm gonna be gone (99% without internet) for about a week or so, so all progress on this will be halted. This'll also give me some time to decide on some of the details too.

-snip-

Feel free to keep discussion and everything going, I'll catch up once I'm back or at any opportunity I end up getting.

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
I was told by a lot of people that they didn't like 72 hour contests being springboards into major contests. Plus, we didn't really have any solid plans for this major contest by the time the 72 hour rolled around.

There are a fair number of entries to the 72 hour contest that would technically be eligible for this major contest, but there's only two or three entries that could actually be good entries without a major overhaul. I'll let Berry decide if he wants 72 hour maps to be eligible at all, but I don't think it matters too much.

Unfortunately, that does mean we're dealing with the problem of making mappers choose between developing their 72 hour entries or developing a new map for the major contest. Starting in 2016 is probably a good idea for that reason, since it would let people actually work on their 72 hour maps without interruption. To tithe us over until then, maybe a detailing contest?

We aren't even projected to finish the 72hr contest for at least another 3-4 months probably (7 more weeks of testing, at least one month of judging/finalists) and it's already August. Maybe it'd be best if the next contest began in 2016? Spring break can be a target end date.

Preliminary voting is set to end in early September (the 6th), and the finalist period will probably take about as long as the prelims (maybe shorter). I'm aiming to have things wrapped up by early October. Fingers crossed!

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
The issue though arises with something similar to what happened with Paid mods.

You drop money, an unused motivator, into a community that has developed without monetary motivation and it creates this not great rippling effect through the community. Some people ignore, other people don't. Some people will work REALLY HARD to get that money (for whatever reason), they'll do whatever they can. What they do can sometimes be extremely rude, disrespectful and not something that is not part of the normal community, an outlier attitude or action.

A lot of this is effected by how the monetary motivator is introduced, however. So it is somewhat managable, depending on the community.

tl;dr: Community management super analysis time that probably no one wanted to hear but you got it anyways. Woooooo

I think that if any money is put forward as a prize, the rules say you "have to be a good sport" otherwise no prizes will be given to you.

I understand that that probably isn't all you're talking about, but it's something.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Bad sportsmanship isn't really a good reason to exclude cash prizes imho (or high valued prizes, say GFX cards or software licences) But instead should be a prompt to look into the behaviours in the community.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
We're now looking at half the respondents asking for a later date. That's relieving to see.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
To tithe us over until then, maybe a detailing contest?

So we get a dev textured MvM map layout from somewhere and the contest is half artpass and half popfile creation.

Just putting this out there. There's a not-insignificant level of interest from other folks too.

Me and you Freyja, let's team up.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, i could design an mvm map for an artpass contest. But do expect that it takes a few months to get a realy good shape. Just randomly building is often a bad practice for an mvm map as you quickly will end up in situations that you cant decently balance waves.

Bigrock already has some flaws on that part as excelent teams will never lose the cave regardless of the bots you spawn, or you went completely over the top spawning many chiefs. And this simply wont be fun.

For an mvm map you need to take the time into balancing parts. And especialy for an artpass you have to be sure the map is excelent. As detailing a poor mvm map would just be a waste of effort.

Also, what about a payload race contest? Mappers can be completely free at designing the shape and the size can be similar to hightower aswel (which isnt too big). I think this sets a strict enough restriction but keeps the options for the map open. And since there arent alot of valve maps on this category it could be worth a try.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You're free to use mvm_birthday for a contest. I made it for someone else to artpass without any idea what they'd want to artpass it as, so it's really basic. Also I don't want to enter a detailing contest.

Last edited:

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
So I'm back on sort of an interim from my break for a few hours. Is there an actual wanting for this MvM artpass contest (I believe we discussed it having wave design too, I suppose it'd work similar to 2 skillsets but not with entrants tied together).

An MvM detail contest solves the issue of this cutting in with the 72hr during playing times as they're tested on their own server anyway. But if this is what you guys want, we can take a look at that.

Discuss

Kraken

Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess
Dec 21, 2014
A detailing contest? Gameplay already done? I need to enter.