[NEWS] Source 2 in development!

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Micnax, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    http://www.valvetime.net/threads/exclusive-next-gen-source-2-engine-is-in-development.215336/

Discuss! Looks like we're getting a new SDK with scaling tools, at last ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hurray! Will be best Christmas gift 2014!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not really surprised, Gabe announced back in May that we'll be getting new Source Tools.

4. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    "next gen source2"

seems a bit fishy

5. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    I checked myself:

[​IMG]

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Can we not?

There really is nothing to get excited over here. They've already said they're spending a crapton of time and manpower developing their current tools to be more friendly to both themselves and any developers who want to license their engine. So the new hammer icons, whilst the images themselves are new, are not news.

Source 2 is also not news, it's just a name, a name isn't news. For all we know it's just the working title until it's released and they can add the correct year to it, like source 2007 or source 2009. Or it might be their new more formalised engine for licensing which is really just source 2009 but tidied up.

I cannot stress enough: A development codename is NOT news, stop getting over excited.

7. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    What YM said. Plus the fact that Valve tends to just slowly change their engine over time, they don't really do major engine steps like Crytek or Epic. I mean even goldsrc to source wasn't a major step. The very reason they have those stupid names is because it wasn't.

8. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe with Source 2, to export from Maya you won't need to use a half-working 3rd party plugin that takes a day to learn. Innovation!

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Those icons excite me more than anything else. Between them and the extra SDK that came with Source Filmmaker, I'm hoping for a cross-platform, Qt-based, unified SDK that supports every engine from 2007 onward and actually provides the necessary files for stand-alone mods. A new engine would be neat, but we kind of get one of those every year, and without good mod development support it always just means their newest game looks a little prettier than the last one.

10. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    sdk for windows, linux and osx plox

11. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    When I saw the first comment, I was like "pfft... programmer joke" but then I saw how many more references to Source 2 were in there and figured nobody, even at Valve, would pepper their code with that many joke comments.

Still disappointed that they're not planning to call it "ReSource", though. 'Cause that's what an engine is. A resource for game developers.