News for the New Year

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Hey again mapping people. I hope everyone has enjoyed their Winter recess :) So much good stuff to cover, so lets get to it. First off, our slightly-less chaotic Gameday map testing has resumed. Major huge props to our resident Snark for continuing to make it happen. He's the man behind the scheduling, which is really the hard part. Second, I am especially pleased to see everyone giving more feedback in both Server Discussion and Models & Textures forums. You guys are amazing, lol. This kind of growth is like the very definition of community, so give yourselves some rep for continuing to support custom goodness :D

Next up, something so amazing that it needs it's own paragraph. Read this thread; http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=11041 and then kiss drpepper's shiny hat. Everyone on staff pitches in w/ their unique skills, and we work together for the big stuff. But DP is the guy who keeps this entire operation afloat. And really, it's all for the love of the game [/gangster] ;) So consider dropping a few bucks our way, or even buying some ad space. I'm thinking about forcing one of the staff to make the most obnoxious flash ad in history just for me. An ad that will do nothing except promote pie and eggnog, then buy space for like 6 months. In order to avoid such a catastrophe, I really want everybody's opinion on this;

Yeah, DP loves us more than we shall ever know:) On a related note, I've been pondering an idea. Our active member count averages 1,000 these days. If everybody contributed $1, we'd be set for a year. And if everybody bought a 12-month subscription at $1/month, we'd be set for several years, lol. Even accounting for those who don't use the community enough to contribute, or honestly can't chip in for whatever reason, that still leaves a huge number of people with disposable income of $1 or more.

We did once before, kinda last minute notice. But what would happen if we hyped this deal and made it a huge event? Assuming that everybody who has ever heard of TF2M knows about it well in advance; I think that a couple hundred $1 deposits is a very conservative estimate. Perhaps 50 or so pony up $12 for the year. You (community) could add to this by offering ideas for new vip stuff ;) Every single penny is (and always has been) reinvested into the community in the form of prizes, events, and expenses of course.

The real hurdle here is that the plan requires a community gathering of unparalleled magnitude. I think we'd have to add some big additions to the vip benefits in order to garner enough people for this to be practical. But even a 1 month buy would bring an extra $1000, and we do could do some very fun stuff w/ that :D What do you all think? (yay for Communism?)

Lastly, in an elaborate effort to take over the world by promoting custom gaming, the staff at L4DMaps.net have graciously allowed me to start helping out. I kinda jumped the gun when I didn't think anyone was left in charge. Suffice to say they were all very surprised when I showed up :facepalm: As Vander would say, it's water under the bridge now. So check out the latest site news. And if you're even remotely interested in custom zombies, dive into the mapping discussion and spam all your friends; http://forums.l4dmaps.net/thread-1109-post-7925.html#pid7925

Game time, hoo-ra.

ANova

L7: Fancy Member
Jul 16, 2009
I can't wait to see some custom maps for l4d 2

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Awesomesauce, now. You say that $1000 would reinvest into the community, I'm PART of teh community, and need a new graphics card. Where does your opinion lie on this... you technically would be reinvesting in the community, lawl.

Soooooo....

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Awesomesauce, now. You say that $1000 would reinvest into the community, I'm PART of teh community, and need a new graphics card. Where does your opinion lie on this... you technically would be reinvesting in the community, lawl.

Soooooo....
Outsmarting the admins is neither wise nor funny. /banstick

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007

Soooooo....
ill buy a sweet new video card, and break it in to 1000 pieces and send you one :D

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
It has been really nice seeing all the folks come and say hello at L4DM. We appreciate all of you and look forward to playing some cool maps.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks immortal, and props to vander for keeping l4dmaps.net up and running, when he can stop playing leauge of legends. XD

Vander

Feb 16, 2008
Thanks immortal, and props to vander for keeping l4dmaps.net up and running, when he can stop playing leauge of legends. XD

LOL! Tell me about it. League of Legends is consuming waaaay too much of my time lately.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
LOL! Tell me about it. League of Legends is consuming waaaay too much of my time lately.

Same here, my steam game play times for the past 2 weeks are lacking (even on winter break for me). I finally hit level 30, though i had xp boost.

Dr. ROCKZO

Jul 25, 2009
I'd definitely want to help out, and have been wanting to donate since my joining of this community, but I have no way to pay online (No Paypal, no credit cards) so what would I do there?