Newbie Question: Cutting something out of an object?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ArgH, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ArgH

ArgH L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi Forum...

Had today some spare-time, so I gave the hammer-editor a trial-run.

Here's my question:

-Cutting something out of an object-

Example:

You have a wall on you map - and now it would be just nice to cut a hole into the wall, that the player has another exit. (or a hole to shoot thorugh...)

Is this possible to do this via a tool - or do I have to delete the (old)wall an then recreate it from several individual boxes?

Thanks for your help....

ArgH

2. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Although you can by using the Carve tool, you will have a much easier time just recreating it.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Don't tell him to use carve, or recreate it, thats just mean. Show him some respect and tell him how to do it the proper way and use the clip tool. you select your brush, change to the clipping tool, drag a line in the 2D view, click the tool a few more times until both sides are white and hit enter. now select one of the two new brushes and clip it again, and then clip the middle one horizontally and delete the bottom one and hey presto a door...

There are tutorials on stuff like this, This is your best friend

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    I didn't know you could do that!

Cool!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  5. Termaximus

Termaximus L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
  6. Giver

Giver L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, you are my best friend for posting that.

7. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    Are you saying you made pl_waste without knowing about the clip tool? D:

8. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    I hate to think how much time you've wasted from not knowing about this D:

9. Termaximus

Termaximus L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Icarus, I agree with Youme and Acegikmo and am a state of shock :blink:. Impressive though that you could do that. I must admit it took me until my third map, pl_vipersden, to really figure out the Vertex Manipulation tool.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Heh the very very first time I opened hammer I loaded up a ravenholm map and went straight for the vertex tool. After that I didn't touch it for another six months.:lol:

11. Pink_Panther

Pink_Panther L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Bahh, clip takes too long really unless you have a really complicated surface. Besides, that confused me and I have been working in this program for 8+ years.

Fastest/easiest method is to delete the first one, make one new box, then copy paste it around the openning a couple times. grab the edges and snap them to the grid squares around the openning you wanted. Been doing doors like that for years.

The clip tool is nice and all, but really unnecessary unless your working with displacements. Since, your new, work on the simpiliest methods of construction. Its more important to learn the overall processes to make a map from concept to final compile. After you get a map or two under your belt, then try all the wakey little tools, like my favorite the vertex manipulation tool.

And yes, never ever use that horrid Carve tool. its evil and will distroy your harddrive. go ahead, try it, it likes harddrives, and its hungry, try it...come on, try it. No, really, it just causes more problems than its worth. always does everything wrong or in the worst possible way.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Bot190

Bot190 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    WOW, and ive been using the carve tool for a month or so, thanks for setting me straight.

13. ArgH

Positive Ratings:
    Hey

"Thanks fo the help, mate"

:) I'll give it a trial

14. ArgH

Positive Ratings:

Btw.: Why exactly is the carve-tool so bad and broken?
    :unsure:

15. moosenukes

moosenukes L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The carve tool has a tendency to create an incredible amount of cuts for anything more complicated than your standard cube, for example take a look at this thread:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=4640

That same carve in the first post could be made in only a few (albeit messy) clips

16. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Finally... a way of making windows not a pain in the ass :D