Newbie Question: Cutting something out of an object?

ArgH

L1: Registered
Jan 18, 2009
Hi Forum...

Had today some spare-time, so I gave the hammer-editor a trial-run.

Here's my question:

-Cutting something out of an object-

Example:

You have a wall on you map - and now it would be just nice to cut a hole into the wall, that the player has another exit. (or a hole to shoot thorugh...)

Is this possible to do this via a tool - or do I have to delete the (old)wall an then recreate it from several individual boxes?

Thanks for your help....

ArgH

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Although you can by using the Carve tool, you will have a much easier time just recreating it.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Although you can by using the Carve tool, you will have a much easier time just recreating it.

Don't tell him to use carve, or recreate it, thats just mean. Show him some respect and tell him how to do it the proper way and use the clip tool. you select your brush, change to the clipping tool, drag a line in the 2D view, click the tool a few more times until both sides are white and hit enter. now select one of the two new brushes and clip it again, and then clip the middle one horizontally and delete the bottom one and hey presto a door...

There are tutorials on stuff like this, This is your best friend

Giver

Apr 20, 2008
Don't tell him to use carve, or recreate it, thats just mean. Show him some respect and tell him how to do it the proper way and use the clip tool. you select your brush, change to the clipping tool, drag a line in the 2D view, click the tool a few more times until both sides are white and hit enter. now select one of the two new brushes and clip it again, and then clip the middle one horizontally and delete the bottom one and hey presto a door...

There are tutorials on stuff like this, This is your best friend

Actually, you are my best friend for posting that.

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
Icarus, I agree with Youme and Acegikmo and am a state of shock :blink:. Impressive though that you could do that. I must admit it took me until my third map, pl_vipersden, to really figure out the Vertex Manipulation tool.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Heh the very very first time I opened hammer I loaded up a ravenholm map and went straight for the vertex tool. After that I didn't touch it for another six months.:lol:

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008

Bahh, clip takes too long really unless you have a really complicated surface. Besides, that confused me and I have been working in this program for 8+ years.

Fastest/easiest method is to delete the first one, make one new box, then copy paste it around the openning a couple times. grab the edges and snap them to the grid squares around the openning you wanted. Been doing doors like that for years.

The clip tool is nice and all, but really unnecessary unless your working with displacements. Since, your new, work on the simpiliest methods of construction. Its more important to learn the overall processes to make a map from concept to final compile. After you get a map or two under your belt, then try all the wakey little tools, like my favorite the vertex manipulation tool.

And yes, never ever use that horrid Carve tool. its evil and will distroy your harddrive. go ahead, try it, it likes harddrives, and its hungry, try it...come on, try it. No, really, it just causes more problems than its worth. always does everything wrong or in the worst possible way.

ArgH

Jan 18, 2009
[...]

And yes, never ever use that horrid Carve tool. its evil and will distroy your harddrive. go ahead, try it, it likes harddrives, and its hungry, try it...come on, try it. No, really, it just causes more problems than its worth. always does everything wrong or in the worst possible way.

Btw.: Why exactly is the carve-tool so bad and broken?
:unsure:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Finally... a way of making windows not a pain in the ass :D

Last edited: