Newbie needs your help

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by lolcrit, Nov 7, 2009.

1. lolcrit

lolcrit L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi!

I've started to fool around with Hammer making my way around. I do have some questions though.

How do you test your map? When I compile the map, Hammer tries to start a new instance of TF2 to test it. How can I set Hammer up not to start TF2 when done compiling and how can I restart my map from TF2 (that is always on) to test it?

I've noticed that when I have one block inside the other and their faces touch I can see textures ripping one through another - for example a door sliding into a wall remains partially visible. What is a good practice here? Best I've come up with using no draw textures, making doors larger than the opening and liberal use of door frames. I'm sure there is a better way.

Speaking of doors, I find "open on touch" lacking and I want to have a trigger area around the door which opens the door when a player enters it. How do I do that?
    I've searched around but couldn't find any tutorials about triggers in general and differences between them. If you could post me a link I'd be most grateful.

When making beams in walls and door frames (doorjambs) should I make a block with that invisible and impassable texture to smooth out walls to prevent players from getting stuck? It seems like a huge time-waster, when in map development do you want to do this (if at all)?

Thanks!

2. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    1.Tick the don't run on compile box
    2.Use the mapping resource pack xD
    3.Do 2 or just tell the trigger to open-on touch
    4.For players getting stuck use playerclips

3. Owlruler

Owlruler L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    just click the don't run option in the compile menu
    make the door slightly smaller and set the 'lip' to -1
    A trigger_multiple -> OnStartTouchAll, door, open and OnEndTouchAll, door, close
    Playerclip at 45 degree agles so you move past them smoothly

4. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    When you are ready to compile, there should be a checkbox you can toggle if you want to run tf2 or not.

It's called Z-fighting, and in general you want the the smaller brush (door) go inside the larger brush (wall), thus hiding it.

here's a tutorial from 2007 (!) explaining door triggers [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=198"][TUTORIAL] A Beginner's Guide:The Spawn Room - TF2Maps.net[/ame]

There are special tooltextures for that, 'playerclip' and 'clip'.

Another tip: open up the valve maps that are now available! Checking out how they made their doors and such is often the quickest way to get answers to questions like these!