New York is not the solution

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Sorry to poop on the server party, but many people appear to agree with me on this: The new NY server is not a good trade for the old EU and US servers.

First of all, I understand that it was hard to play on the EU server for you Americans because of the high ping. But if you had the right to complain about your ping to that server, we have the exact same grounds for complaint.

problemnotsolved.jpg

Look at this. How is this better for the Europeans, than the EU server ever was for the Americans?

While I get that the idea of a more central server is good, NY is hardly more central than England, and it feels unfair. I get 200 ping from Norway, for instance.

Also,

Yarr! Pc_Madness: the australian ping goes up by 100

Yarr! Pc_Madness: so, 300 for me, I guess 350, 400 for aly

Jakkarra

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 26, 2009
I am In agreement with the confectionary.

Mr.Late

L7: Fancy Member
Nov 27, 2009
Solution: Create an island middle of Atlantic Ocean, then host server from there.

Really, I think it is really hard to have just one server, when distances between players are so long.

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
How about Iceland or greenland, it's a similar distance between the USA and the EU.

We's probably all have about 60 ping or something, but it's a BIT of an improvement.

What we really need is the old system with two servers, an EU one and a US one, if we had two GOOD servers then most of the arguing would be gone. it's currently not fair to the EU players, who make up a substantial section of the community.

(The Aussies are still screwed though)

Last edited:

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, i Edited my post just before you posted that :p

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Not all US players get low ping on the new server. It's either there or somewhere in Europe, either way half of us are going to be complaining. Just accept it, boo hoo my ping is a bit higher, at least it's not in Dallas or something with 180 ping.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Not all US players get low ping on the new server. It's either there or somewhere in Europe, either way half of us are going to be complaining. Just accept it, boo hoo my ping is a bit higher, at least it's not in Dallas or something with 180 ping.

I usually got better ping in the Texas server, actually. 150-ish on a good day. The NY server is anywhere between 120 and 250 ping, it seems. And even 120 ping is quite unpleasant.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
We haven't had it a couple of days, people who live in NY have been having connection problems. Give it a couple of weeks to iron out all the issues :p

Walker

L2: Junior Member
Oct 22, 2009
Solution: Put the server in southern Greenland/Iceland. Pretty much halfway.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
FYI TF2maps will not have an official EU server. But there will be a server running for custom maps in the EU.

IE not affiliated with TF2maps but free for users of TF2maps to use.