New user, problem with hammer files

SomewhatExcellent

L1: Registered
Mar 24, 2018
I am new to the tf2 mapping scene, so I tried watching UEAKCrash's videos on how to get started. I followed his instructions until I got into the bin files. He said to open hammer.bat before opening hammer.exe, but I had neither of those files on my computer, so I just tried to open the file that said "Hammer" on it. It had no trouble loading, compiling or saving, but now when I try to open hammer from desktop it says that it cannot proceed because the vstdlib.dll and tier0.dll files cannot be found, and when I try to open hammer directly by going into my computers files, it says that it cannot find hammer.exe. Looking for someone who is willing to help, please.

nᵗʰSonata

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
It seems you moved the hammer.exe file to your desktop on accident; move it back to its original file, then instead create a shortcut to it on your desktop by right clicking on it and clicking "Create Shortcut", then move the shortcut to your desktop or wherever you want it. This should fox your problems, while still being able to launch Hammer from your desktop (ps: if your computer can run a specific filetype extension (i.e. .exe or .bat), the extension won't appear normally when browsing using the file explorer)

SomewhatExcellent

L1: Registered
Mar 24, 2018
Thanks for the help! I thought that dragging it to the desktop wouldn't change how it loads because it's just a different location. Now it works fine.