New to Mapping

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by GoldenMech, Aug 14, 2010.

1. GoldenMech

GoldenMech L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi! I'm relatively new to Hammer and I have a few questions. Several people recommended I take a look at this site.

1. Skyboxes are REALLY confusing me, I made one but it looked off so I want to know how to do it the right way.
    2. How do you make stairs? Is it just cubes stacked on each other or is there an easier way?
    3. Water (as in deep water you can swim in). My friend who is really good with Hammer can't even figure out how to make it. So how?

2. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    1. I don't understand what you mean by "off". The skybox appears wherever you have the skybox tool texture in hammer.
    2. Unfortunately, stairs are only made by a series of brushes with differing heights. That's the best way to do it anyway because you'll always get the best results.
    3. Water is done by placing a nodraw brush where you want it and texturing the top face of the brush with a water texture.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nimelrian

Nimelrian L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    1. Create a block with the toolsskybox-texture around your map. Select it, click tools->Make Hollow and enter (for example) 32 to make it a cube which is visible from the inside. Now go to Map->Properties and set the skybox-texture you want.

If you want to create a 3D Skybox, look over here http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/3D_Skybox#Construction_of_3D_skyboxes

2. Yep, just stack blocks up. Valve used a 2/3 ratio, so 2 in length, 3 in height (you can multiplicate this values, but keep the ratio).

3. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Adding_Water#Construction

4. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. Never do this.

5. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    #3 Don't forget to make a cubemap 16 units above the water surface somewhere, and link it to the water's face.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. GoldenMech

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, and also... Is there a specific file directory I should save the map to?

7. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    The vmf should save in steamapps\*username*\sourcesdk_content\tf\

When you compile, it will make the bsp file in that folder AND your game golder. In case you don't know where that is,
    steamapps\*username*\team fortress 2\tf\

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. GoldenMech

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks a ton!

9. Nimelrian

Positive Ratings:
    Wait. Why?

10. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    Because then everything on the map will be rendered ALL the time.
    Seal it properly by making the skybox walls and skybox ceiling to fit.

Also horribly long compile times.
    Also also, it means you can't find when you have a leak - which you need to know so that you can properly fix your map.

11. Nimelrian

Positive Ratings:
    But, errm, how do you want to create the sky then?

12. alecom

Positive Ratings:
  13. Nimelrian

Positive Ratings:
    kk, I never found any tutorial to skyboxes and a friend told me, for the beginning of mapping, hollowed skyboxes are the best option, as the geometry of the map changes during the process again and again.

14. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    Except if you have a giant hollow box around your map, you won't have any void based leaks. Areaportals will still leak fine. Unless you're talking about having a hollow skybox cube around your map as well as the better optimised, snug skyboxes.

15. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    The layout of the map changes again and again, not the overall shape. Any changes in that can be easily fixed. Also slap the person who told you that box skyboxes are good.

16. alecom

Positive Ratings:

eh... okayyy. They don't affect the water though? Does vis compile when areaportals leak?

edit: though I guess whatever the answer, you will get the point file :p

you win!

later edit: okay I think what maybe I was trying to say is that you shouldn't just box up your level in a skybox to avoid leaks, you should learn to fix them. At least that's what I want to say now ;D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  17. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
    If you're just play testing it's not that big of an issue. When you're doing a release then yeah, don't do this.

18. Draco18s

Draco18s L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The biggest problem with what you said to do was, was to texture the inside of the cube with the desired skybox texture which is blatantly wrong. That's why there's a field Map -> Properties for the desired sky. And a blue skybox texture.

19. Nimelrian

Positive Ratings:
    No no no, read carefully

20. Jethro

Jethro MUSty Complainer

Positive Ratings:
    Unless you're just making a very quick test map that won't be released. >_>