New to Hammer

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by miningdude, Aug 6, 2011.

1. miningdude

miningdude L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, I am a F2P for Team Fortress 2 -- joined April 11 2011.:woot:

I got the Source SDK and was gonna try to make my first Map.

I booted up Hammer, looked at the Granary map thing, Freaked out since I did not know what to do, Any tips -- They would be appreciated!

~MDude~

2. venguard

venguard L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. markcocjin

markcocjin L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Killbox

4. miningdude

miningdude L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  5. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yep - Killbox :)

What he basically means is start off like everone else:

make a box - hollow on the inside - put in a player - and a light - compile it and that's your first map :p

Then...

Start playing around add in props / change lights textures, etc - make another room connect the two with a hallway, etc.

6. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    DON'T HOLLOW EVER.
    Or carve.

Don't be lazy and do either of those, it will destroy your map. take the time to make normal brushes.

7. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:

Thanks for the clarification Frozen - I meant make the box hollow on the inside by building the walls floor and ceiling separately. Never Hollow and NEVER carve.

I forgot about the hollow command last time I used it was over 5 years ago - forgot about it :)

8. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    Consult the youtube channel of 3kliksphillip, he maps for counter strike but it uses the same editor and most of the principles apply.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. T1000

T1000 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Or You can use 3DS Max, along with Convexity, and WallWorm Tools and make your map layout and texture everything, and use WallWorm Tools to name the entities and add func_detail items and info_player start within MAX.

I just use Hammer to add certain details and compile the map.

You Just have to setup MAX to the same dimensions as Hammer.

10. Virulus

Virulus L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, never carve

I'm trying to get out of the habbit of hollowing...brushes take waaay too long for me to make D:

Anyways, for the advice. My friend taught me everything I know about Hammer, but I think the main thing to say about level creation is: your camera is not the same view of your player, what may seem small in the editor is giant to TF2 players. Make sure you always put down a info_player_teamspawn (should be the default entity) to judge how big your brush is to a real TF2 player (as that is the size of a TF2 player).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  11. Huckle

Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
  12. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    If you havn't already download ABS Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack. It's great. It contains lots of things which just make mapping easier.

Also may I note not everybody started with killbox.
    What I reccomend is just have an idea, rough it out and then muck around with it :)