New Submission: cp_stonequarry_b1

timberghost_paintball

L2: Junior Member
Dec 19, 2007
Downloads: A new file has been added by timberghost_paintball:

cp_stonequarry_b1

This is the first release for intensive playtesting of cp_stonequarry. It is a gravelpit style map. So far very little visual polish has been added such as most of the prop models, decals and blend textures. The goal of this release is to help be identify game balance issues and appropriate capture and respawn times so PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK. thanks.
cp_stonequarry_b10006.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b10009.jpg

Last edited:

Corion

May 17, 2008
Looks nice, but also very complicated. (based on screenshots)

I'll have to download this and have a look around.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Looks pretty cool. The fact that it looks that good without props, etc.. is great.

Now I'll complain a little. CC.
The arch looks kindof like 3 rocks. Might work better if you used more displacements or just worked on all the displacements at once to get more rounder natural corners. I know, nitpicky.

In 3rd pic. The concrete/windows in rock. 1: the concrete looks to thin, in real life concrete has to be at about 8-12 inches to survive. In game making it even thicker might be good for appearance.
The one thing that bugs me about castle is the weird blob rocks on top of buildings.
I'd either make that building on top of the rocks or make more of a natural cave and add walls/windows inside it. To me it looks like the building came first and the rock formed around it.

Neither complaint effects gameplay, and they probably wouldn't bother me in game at all.
But right now I'm just looking so...

timberghost_paintball

Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for the feedback all. its really what I need now. Maybe for the arch I'll make a custom prop in maya, it wouldn't take me long at all. And as far as the structure inside the rock face goes I'll rethink that as well. On one side I'm willing to forgo realism in the name of form since its for a game that contains rocketjumping but on the other hand using another material may turn out to look even better so I'll give it a shot. and yes the screenshots look pretty crowded but I don't think it is as bad in game but we'll find out if I can get some playtesting going.

As far as the map goes visually some areas are far more refined than others and I have big plans for the whole thing. I am an art student studying game art so I have pretty high expectations for the visuals and have the ability to make custom content so when I get the gameplay hammered out I'll really start to meticulously polish the visuals

As far as complexity goes the map basically is three "arenas" around each cp. A lot of the buildings are mostly to give the map a sense of atmosphere and so the paths aren't that complicated but only playtesting will really show how well it works.
(And Corion, are you in the [CP] Community? I think I've played with you before)

thanks all for the interest

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
umm...big...uh...yeah...
anyways, it is kinda confusing...not sure signs would help that much for all the side routes though
Oh, and the cap time for point C might be a bit long considering how close it is to the red spawn .

timberghost_paintball

Dec 19, 2007
Thanks to all for the feedback, I've been making alot of changes based on your suggestions. Lots of them are small things but I've also tweaked the cap times slightly, removed the piston/ elevator, raised the ambient light, and reduced the map size as a whole by removing some of the open areas and tightening the structures around them. I also have some aesthetic changes on the way. particularly around the blue spawn exit/ cave/bunker structure

timberghost_paintball

Dec 19, 2007
New cp_stonequarry screens

most of these are from around point "b" which is pretty close to completion
cp_stonequarry_b2d0040.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0034.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0032.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0021.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0023.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0025.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0026.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0027.jpg

Things still left to do

Point A may still have some small tweaks to make the displacements look better
cp_stonequarry_b2d0038.jpg

cp_stonequarry_b2d0035.jpg

Both of the spawnrooms need a lot of polish

Point c still has more detail on the way and a few custom props in the works.

the textures for the telescope and the dome still need to be reworked

the doors from the blue base will be changed (cosmetically)

various small lighting tweaks (purely aesthetic)

various optimizations

Well that's whats being planned and hopefully there aren't too many unforeseen surprises.