new submission: arena_forest

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
I got curious about the displacements and started playing with an idea. This is what I came up with.

the light is intentionally dim, not dark. While testing, we had no difficulty seeing each other.

http://www.pinksrealm.com/maps/arena_forest.zip

arena_forest1.jpg

(its actually a brighter than it looks in this pic because the white around it overpowers the light in the pic)

Love to hear your thoughts. (i haven't actually released this one in case I messed something up that needs to be fixed.)

------------
arena_forest
------------

Its night, its a forest and there are bad people trying to take a capture point you have been hoping to take yourself.

------------
Development notes:

I felt like pushing my boundries a little so I tried a few new things. First are the displacements. I wanted more of them, but apparently there is a limit to how many you can use. So the forest is about half as dence as I wanted.

I was hoping to get some low to the ground fog effects, but they looked horrid and were removed.

I loved how the directions on the valve development site gave 'directions' on how to set up an arena map. 5 wins and it switches map. So, I tweeked it and got it to just scramble the teams after 5 wins and reset the score.

------------
Thanks to my testers: Jaguar and Most Hated

Build by: Pink_Panther
Email: postaudioguy@yahoo.com

Build time: 20+ hours
Build with: Hammer 4.1
Build Date: 9 Jan 2009

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Looks like there's a complete absence of TF2 themed textures or props. Your map isn't truly a TF2 map before it uses materials from the game and/or materials that closely resemble those from the game - yours looks far too realistic.

It's probably a very good map, but when there are props and textures that could replace everything in your map (there are pine trees too), I think you should use them. :)

Pink_Panther

L3: Member
Dec 14, 2008
Looks like there's a complete absence of TF2 themed textures or props. Your map isn't truly a TF2 map before it uses materials from the game and/or materials that closely resemble those from the game - yours looks far too realistic.

Thanks! I was going for realistic.

Actually, there was a couple. The cap point, the red/blue team overlay, and the capture point overlay. I just gave them backgrounds to make it look like they were painted on plywood instead of plaster walls.

...there are props and textures that could replace everything in your map (there are pine trees too), I think you should use them. :)

I didnt go with props because of a limit in the number you can use that recieve shadowing (at least thats what i read some where)

I dont go with standard tf2 texture for a three reasons. First, i go for a particular feel in my maps and pick those things that match that feel. Second, I have yet to figure out how to limit Hammer to only TF2 materials/textures. Lastly, I like a deviation from the normal.

I appreciate your comments. Critisism with a valid point is aways helpful. The idea I have going for my next map should put you at ease. It will feel like a TF type map and still get the realism across.

It's probably a very good map... :)

Thanks again.
Phil

Last edited: