New Steam beta: In-game browser

ProfFiendish

L2: Junior Member
Nov 15, 2008
Steamworks is a tool (set of tools?) to help mod devs associate their games with the more advanced features of Steam (like achievements, I think).

Also, an overlay web browser is just absurd. Yes, one game isn't engrossing enough, I need to play two at once. I just can't see any use for it at all. If you need to urgently surf the internet, you can just run a browser yourself.

Edit: Oops, was beaten by Fatony :)

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Steamworks is a tool (set of tools?) to help mod devs associate their games with the more advanced features of Steam (like achievements, I think).

Also, an overlay web browser is just absurd. Yes, one game isn't engrossing enough, I need to play two at once. I just can't see any use for it at all. If you need to urgently surf the internet, you can just run a browser yourself.

Edit: Oops, was beaten by Fatony :)

Sitting out in arena can be boring enough to want to check what WIP pictures people are posting in the chatroom...

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
Actually, part of me's hoping that the in-game browser will mean that they're fixing it so that you can post Community announcement and stuff in-game. Right now, the links to them if you go to your Community are greyed out, so you have to quit out of TF2 if you want to post a "hey, get your butts to this server" announcement.

Geoff

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2008
Oh nice! I be totally not bored while downloading a 30957130597310mb map! :D

HojoTheGreat

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 11, 2008
Honestly I don't see why people are looking down on the feature. It's not like it makes the games worse or anything lol. And in all honesty I always wondered why they didn't include this in the first place. Way more useful than alt-tabbing and getting model errors galore. It's a nice addition and I'll accept it with open arms, whether I use it or not heh.

Now give me my Left 4 Dead SDK.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Too bad the Steam overlay usually refuses to work at that point. :p

it does work while actually downloading...its loading the download and loading the map that it does not, so...for small maps and fast servers it won't really matter...but still

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Not to mention I will def. like this feature cause say you are waiting or need to look up a command or something. It takes so long to alt+tab out of the game open the browser find the stuff and then wait like another 2 minutes or more(depending on your PC) for the game to actually open back up. Also when you have to alt+tab you get all sort of graphical glitches and stuff. this can be a way of preventing them. =)