New Steam beta: In-game browser

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by luxatile, Dec 13, 2008.

1. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
  2. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
  3. ProfFiendish

ProfFiendish L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Steamworks is a tool (set of tools?) to help mod devs associate their games with the more advanced features of Steam (like achievements, I think).

Also, an overlay web browser is just absurd. Yes, one game isn't engrossing enough, I need to play two at once. I just can't see any use for it at all. If you need to urgently surf the internet, you can just run a browser yourself.

Edit: Oops, was beaten by Fatony :)

4. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Sitting out in arena can be boring enough to want to check what WIP pictures people are posting in the chatroom...

5. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, part of me's hoping that the in-game browser will mean that they're fixing it so that you can post Community announcement and stuff in-game. Right now, the links to them if you go to your Community are greyed out, so you have to quit out of TF2 if you want to post a "hey, get your butts to this server" announcement.

6. Geoff

Geoff L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Oh nice! I be totally not bored while downloading a 30957130597310mb map! :D

7. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Too bad the Steam overlay usually refuses to work at that point. :p

8. HojoTheGreat

HojoTheGreat L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Honestly I don't see why people are looking down on the feature. It's not like it makes the games worse or anything lol. And in all honesty I always wondered why they didn't include this in the first place. Way more useful than alt-tabbing and getting model errors galore. It's a nice addition and I'll accept it with open arms, whether I use it or not heh.

Now give me my Left 4 Dead SDK.

9. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    it does work while actually downloading...its loading the download and loading the map that it does not, so...for small maps and fast servers it won't really matter...but still

10. TheDarkerSideofYourShadow

TheDarkerSideofYourShadow L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, this means I'll have something to do when I'm downloading hoodoo! ;-)

11. Geoff

Geoff L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hahahaha, I was actually doing that today, while waiting for hoodoo to finish.

12. Xi.Cynx

aa Xi.Cynx Former Alias: †Blade†

Positive Ratings:
    Not to mention I will def. like this feature cause say you are waiting or need to look up a command or something. It takes so long to alt+tab out of the game open the browser find the stuff and then wait like another 2 minutes or more(depending on your PC) for the game to actually open back up. Also when you have to alt+tab you get all sort of graphical glitches and stuff. this can be a way of preventing them. =)