Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by MangyCarface, Feb 13, 2012.

1. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    It's gone. bring it back ??? More useful than the current News button functionality...

2. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Well shit. We literally just took that out. You can access that same feature on the main page by clicking on "New posts" underneath your avatar on the left.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Ohhh there it is. Except it's on the right, and down a bit. A tad confusing having your name/CP up in the top left, and then again on the right. Thanks though

4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    yeah I literally used this 100% of the time here too. the change is fine, was just surprised too

what it does do though is keep guests and members that haven't logged in from just searching for new posts which I don't like

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Okay not to be rude but when you guys remove stuff do you choose how with a d20 or some shit?

6. theharribokid

aa theharribokid

Positive Ratings:
    the new posts button allways missed out posts for me anyway so I never use it anymore

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Is the feedback button still gone? I don't want to change back to the new skin till it's back

8. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    It's back.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm actually, chaning back to the old one again till the new posts button is back.

10. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I find it only happens on this forum, probably to do with cookie storage. I dunno, very annoying.

11. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I was the one who told nine to take it out for the feedback. Why? because it was redundant. You can see if there are no posts on the main forums because their icons light up, and if you are on the main page, there is the "new posts" link underneath your avatar and above "who's online".

I only roll d20's on when I should kick someone or not. 15+ is a kick, 1-14 is a warning.

12. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    But new posts gives me an instant, easy, direct list of what's most recently been said. Why would i use the slower method?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. theharribokid

aa theharribokid

Positive Ratings:
    Because that's the option now available to you I guess, as previously said, the new posts button is still on the front page underneath your avatar on the right

14. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    It's not slower, you just have to go to the front page, which is something you should do anyways to see any new major annoucements or new maps.

15. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    I just think, like, look at the other buttons that are up top now. Are any of those really as useful (other than the Steam Chat button) than the New Posts button was up there? I mean, if we want to talk about redundancies, there's a search field below the search button...

16. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    It feels a little like something we'd hate if it were in a map: the layout isn't so hot, but because you want to stick with it you compromise on other stuff.

17. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I remember saying something similar 3 years ago... oh hey: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=10713

18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Which .....is slower...

What don't you think about an extra page load isn't any slower?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Furthermore the thing at the bottom of the front screen doesn't show (or didn't previously) any contest entry threads, so that's useless for new posts.

Any new news stuff comes up in the new posts and I've never noticed it missing anything out so why should I need to go to the front page to see them?

The new posts, feedback, forum and game servers buttons were the only ones I ever pressed and I've listed them in decreasing frequency of which I used them, the trend is somewhat of an exponential decay.

19. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    Why not put it in the quick links drop down under 'Today's Posts'? That way it's hidden but still accesible without a page reload. I'm sure that's where it used to live anyway.

20. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    We don't have some kind of magical separate news system. That stuff is posted on the forum, so new posts will work to find it too.

I'm not really seeing what is being improved or fixed, per se. Perhaps it is cleaner and more concise for new visitors, but to me it mostly feels change for change.

My bookmark drops me in at my list of subscriptions (all the important threads I've made) so that I don't miss anyone asking a question in case new posts happens to be really flooded and I glaze over it, so I never see the front page. I'll probably just stick to the old theme.