New post stamp feature (Thank, Like, Agree, etc.)

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Hello, folks.

I'm happy that Thanks and Likes have been separated. I always had a problem with people using Thank as a Like. I hope that the Thank stamp will no longer be used as a Like.

However, there are five positive stamps, but no negative stamps. Sometimes it's useful and convenient to quickly show that you dislike or disagree with a post using a negative stamp, rather than take the time to post a response, or just ignore the post. Ordinarily, if I have a problem with a post I will explain why in a response, providing positive feedback where I can. But sometimes it isn't necessary because the post does not warrant a response, or another forum user has covered my feelings already. The alternative in those cases is to simply ignore the post, but the author would get a poor representation about the public feeling of his contribution.

There is no shame in disagreeing with someone or expressing your dislike about something. As long as it's done with the common good as the objective. It's important to be honest and realistic in order for people to learn and grow. I'd be happy if someone gave me a Disagree stamp for this post! ;)

Thank you kindly for your attention.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
We decided not to include any negative responses because we feel it would be more worthwhile to post why you disagree with something instead of just clicking on a button with no explanation. The negative votes on other communities often lead to a pretty passive aggressive toxic environment at times, and we didn't want to encourage that developing here.

If someone posts why they disagree with something, you can now agree with it using the new system.

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
It's worth noting that the default implementation of the disagree rating in the post ratings feature is as a neutral rating, not a negative ones. As Matty said, being disagreed with isn't necessarily a bad thing, I can disagree with your post, but that doesn't make it any less of a good post.

The other forum I run with has a few primary negative ratings (Dumb/Douglas/Bad Spelling/Late) which hide a post if it accrues too many of them, making for a sort of crowd sourced moderation of poor content.

I know there are some arguments against it - it can stifle a debate a bit when people are worried about being bombarded by negative ratings, but in my experience people tend to limit their negative ratings to truly deserving content and neutral ratings (such as disagree don't really matter). The only other issue is that some people wear negative ratings as a badge of honor and intentionally create content in an attempt to get them, but they can be dealt with by staff.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
The other forum I run with has a few primary negative ratings (Dumb/Douglas/Bad Spelling/Late) which hide a post if it accrues too many of them, making for a sort of crowd sourced moderation of poor content.

...Douglas?

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
...Douglas?
81xY1%2BlQr5L._SL1500_.jpg

(It's an old in-joke, it basically means idiot)

Jan 20, 2010
We decided not to include any negative responses because we feel it would be more worthwhile to post why you disagree with something instead of just clicking on a button with no explanation. The negative votes on other communities often lead to a pretty passive aggressive toxic environment at times, and we didn't want to encourage that developing here.

If someone posts why they disagree with something, you can now agree with it using the new system.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I've seen it in action on facepunch and while it may work for them there, I rarely see it contributing in any meaningful way. Usually a post just gets a bunch of "dumb" ratings and then someone just gets upset and nothing comes of it. I don't by any means thing TF2Maps should be a hugbox of pure positivity, but when it comes to disagree with someone it's best to actually use your brain and say why.

I know there are some arguments against it - it can stifle a debate a bit when people are worried about being bombarded by negative ratings, but in my experience people tend to limit their negative ratings to truly deserving content and neutral ratings (such as disagree don't really matter). The only other issue is that some people wear negative ratings as a badge of honor and intentionally create content in an attempt to get them, but they can be dealt with by staff.

I just don't think it's worth it. Users help moderate already by pointing out dumb and stupid posts by quoting them and saying something. If we just have a dumb or disagree button then it just causes people to click that button and the person who was being dumb learns nothing, which is a shame.

Jethro

MUSty Complainer
Nov 2, 2009
To be fair, people can just as easily "agree" with a post that explains why they disagree.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
To clarify, I never said anything about a Dumb stamp. I believe those are disrespectful.

Roll

-in a daze-
aa
Jun 19, 2009
Is there any point in having them if they all just represent "you made a good post"? A lot of the current ratings just end up conveying the same thing. Creative/funny or useful posts could just be as easily liked or thanked. Having at least one neutral rating would make it a little less pointless, but otherwise it's more or less the same "thanks" system that was in place before with more frills (hell, every rating adds to the same counter).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
We can do mini-polls now.

tf2m-thanks.png
for this is a good feature
tf2m-useful.png
for this is a bad feature
tf2m-creative.png
for Bob Ross

Edit: I'd like a disagree option. Sure for bigger things it's best to have a proper explanation but there are lots of times where "I disagree" is all there is to it. Those times get lost.

Also a better distinction between 'thanks' and 'like'

How about
tf2m-like.png
is swapped to be thanks, and
tf2m-thanks.png
is swapped with something more similar to facepunch's 'winner' So you can thank posts, or you can say "holy forum post Batman this post is amazing" rather than just two similar variants on "I like this"

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
So you can thank posts, or you can say "holy forum post Batman this post is amazing" rather than just two similar variants on "I like this"

so, "i like this" or "i really like this"? (or "i really like this and i want to express it in the most 2009 way possible"?)

There's a few oddities in the system as is - a part is that we haven't had time to get used to them yet. I definitely disagree with a "disagree" option - we'd ignore/request more information from posts that just say "that's not right" with no other content - why should we allow a single-button way to do the same thing?

Last edited:

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014

...but then you put a "Positive Ratings" thing under every user's Messages tab (which should be called posts actually since it's not like I had 550 messages sent to me personally)? How can you have a Positive Ratings tab when that's all you can give? That name would've made sense if we had negative rating options (which I'm glad we haven't got). They're more like scored points or usefulness-to-the-community things. Positive ratings implies you can give negative ratings as well which you can't.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
i feel like theres no reason to give people the option to "disagree" with a post without actually explaining it.

if someone ever "disagreed" with my post id feel obliged to make a post or write a message asking them what they disagreed with or why cause otherwise their feedback is just useless and irritating and negative

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Maybe it's just because I haven't gotten used to it yet, but I'm not a big fan of suddenly having six different ways of saying "I like this post" rather than just the one. In fact I'm not really sure what the problem was in the first place that warranted such a change.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Yeah I don't agree with the change. I don't think it was warranted, there's really no need or use for it. It essentially does the exact same thing that "thanks" did originally, nobody's going to care whether a certain post has more "funny" or "creative". They all are gunna be interpreted the same way, because they were all originally used the same way.

about drew

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2015
As a person who requests quite a bit of help, I personally see a definite difference between Thanks and Like.
I will "Thank" someone's post with useful information or Tips.

"Like" I feel is for a post that is not particularly directed toward me, or something I wouldn't verbally say "Thanks" to, and I find myself wanting to "Like" more often than "Thank". But maybe that's because it's a more smooth crossover from social media.

The "Like", "Agree" and "Funny" could probably group together though. Usually a person would like something he or she either agrees with or finds funny. The extra description doesn't seem to make much a difference.

I think the option for "Creative" should warrant a more substantial response than just a click though. If it's really inspiring or interesting, I would think one would like to explain why or compliment the person for their creativity.

Then again, I may just be over-thinking it.

Like my status if you like my status

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
From now on, if I don't like a post, I will say it's funny; since that implies that the comment is laughable.