New Pass Time Map

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Gabe Noodle from Volvo, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Gabe Noodle from Volvo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    So there was an up date about an hour ago, and they added a new passtime map (pass_pinewood). I think it's a lot better than the previous passtime map, plus there's a basket ball net that explodes when you throw the jack into it. 2015-11-25_00018.jpg 2015-11-25_00017.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    Just shows how valve puts 3rd party companies $ over the communities hopes and desires.

3. nitewalker

nitewalker L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    really, thats what this means to you? after having 3 massive updates in the last 6 months, one of which was largely driven by the community and which have included a total of at least 10 community made maps?

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, Valve bring other companies and game communities together. The game companies provide us with the games and assets, and we make custom content for them. Everyone benefits. Though if you are somehow upset that a company makes more money than an individual, then you should try to understand that that's how companies work. They need money to make games and pay their staff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turnip

aa Turnip The 80s Vegetable

Positive Ratings:
    To my understanding when I wrote that:
    Valve got payed by a 3rd party company to create a gamemode and test it out.
    Valve IMMEDIETLY stopped all it was doing involving TF2 and worked on this gamemode delaying everything else.
    Now I know thats not the case. My bad.

6. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I kind of wish they'd focus more on the existing works-in-progress (Cactus Canyon and Asteroid) that have been in development for longer but hey ho.

This map looks cool at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  7. Bunbun

aa Bunbun Gay sex slave

Positive Ratings:
    Were there any new assets added?

8. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, I didn't really expect this to become a conversation on the current state of valve in relation to it's community. It's actually a lot more productive than what I expected to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I asked, they're not dead projects, they're coming. (As I understand/remember it)

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    Pinewood is pretty neat. It's a interesting experiment with the gametype but I'm a bit surprised to see valve change things around before pass time is even out of beta.

11. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    You're surprised to see experimental maps in a phase of development that's meant for trying different things? I'd be pretty concerned if they moved out of beta and then started making big changes.

(By the way, it's a separate company that's developing this gamemode, not Valve.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is good to know, I didn't think they would abandon or remove Cactus Canyon or Asteroid since that would make the community unhappy. Hopefully we get them in the Christmas update along with whatever community maps are included with the campaign.

I wonder if they are somehow going to tie into an update (either Spy vs Engie or whatever else they're working on) because it's certainly strange we got Powerhouse before the finished versions of CC or Asteroid and they haven't been updated in a year. I can't imagine that Valve hasn't had finished versions of CC and Asteroid for some time now.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the new passtime map in a regular game, but I checked it out in a local server and it does seem interesting, it has 3 goals so having engies defending the goal shouldn't be as much of an issue as warehouse. I wonder how many more maps the Passtime dev team will make (and if they will continue helping the TF2 team after they finish with Passtime).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. radarhead

aa radarhead Hands out ratings like cheap cigars

Positive Ratings:
    BUT WHY ARE THERE THREE GOALS ON EACH SIDE
    This seems like a nightmare to keep track of

14. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Positive Ratings:
    Well they're all a lot harder to get the ball into, for the tower you need to take a jump pad, one's a run in right in front of the spawn, and the last is tiny, in an awkward spot, and also right beside the enemy spawn.

15. TPC

TPC L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Going on a tangent here but I hate the warehouse2 and pinewood2 (or the 2goal as i like to call it) because all you have to do is run it in and drop it its dumb the regular goal where you have to throw it in is moar fun

16. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think there's a "pinewood2" since the original one already has a run in goal as well as to throw in goals.

17. Zed

aa Zed Certified Most Crunk™

Positive Ratings:
    I sure hope the finished version of Cactus Canyon isn't as awful as the most recent beta from like last year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. TPC

Positive Ratings:
    Why is there a run in goal plus 2 throw in goals

19. Gabe Noodle from Volvo

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not sure. However I think it's an improvement, though admittedly I haven't actually played it on a fully populated server.

20. TPC

Positive Ratings:
    I ran around on it so how the map works is that for each goal that is thrown in it locks that goal so if you used the run in goal it locks it so you have to achieve the next point by getting it in one if the other goals so you cant spam the run in goal or the easy goal also the light house looking goal is in my opinion impossible to get to