New mapper struggling to learn!

HelenAngel

L1: Registered
Oct 23, 2011
Hello! I am a new mapper (have not used Hammer since I tried- unsuccessfully- to make a CS:S map years ago) who could use any help I can get! (Steam name is same as username here- HelenAngel)

I'm a TF2 server admin and some of our players and I had the idea to "extend" the Mann Manor map into a 3 stage map similar to Dustbowl, utilizing the graveyard and the pumpkin patch as well as blocked off rooms of the house. So hence why I'm here! I downloaded the decompressed maps and lighting (which I cannot be more thankful for) and am about to try to navigate through to make something halfway workable.

Any hints, tips, tricks, etc. are very much appreciated! :)

Jan 20, 2010
Well, expanding a map is quite difficult. You'd need to take the layout feel and the theme of the map and extend it across 2 more stages. Honestly, it's something best left to the person who made it in the first place.

As for hints, tips, or tricks to mapping, there's a few good places to start. The Tutorials forum would be the first stop I would take. http://www.nodraw.net/ can also be useful for more advanced techniques. Interlopers has a lot of general source engine tutorials that could be quite useful as well.

HelenAngel

Oct 23, 2011
Very true. We basically just want to take what is already there and open up some areas while closing off others. So I'm not wanting to create new areas of the map, just essentially changing spawn points, capture points, and opening play into other areas of the map. I know this is much easier said than done, as I'm discovering. I'm not anywhere even slightly talented or knowledgeable enough to add on to something that is already amazing!

Jan 20, 2010
Well, a lot of the closed off rooms inside the building are just deadends with nodraw or tools/black at the end, so you wouldn't be able to expand them. And the graveyard and pumpkin patch would take quite a lot of work in order to be made playable as they were specifically made to only be seen from one field of vision.

If this is something you want to do, you'd need to learn other stuff first.

Last edited:

HelenAngel

Oct 23, 2011
Absolutely. Just looking around made me realize how much maps have changed & how much I need to learn! :)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well Hammer hasn't really changed much since pre-Source besides the TF2 update around a week ago which broke EVERYTHING; and the addition of "instances" with the release of L4D2 and subsequent engine update... Which aren't really that useful for TF2 level design. But what i'm saying is level design is essentially still the same as it was before for Source.

Unless you're talking about the content, which yes, a lot has been added.

Chances are though if you knew Hammer 4 years ago when TF2 came out you'll probably only need to re-acquaint yourself with stuff you already know.

Just be aware that decompiling existing maps breaks areaportals so you'll need to recreate them yourself.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Just a heads up: you won't be able to extend manor much, since the recent changes to hammer, it's over certain hard coded limits. Bringing it back down without losing any detail would be possible, but adding enough new material for 3 new control points wouldn't.

I tried to recompile it the other day and found it was way over the tjuncts limit. Exactly the same file I sent valve last year :/

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well t-junctions can be avoided altogether if you're careful enough. Just use displacements or func_illusionary (or perhaps even func_lod) as as far as i'm aware they're not dynamic entities and don't count towards your entity limit; and will do just fine so long as you have no issue with a couple strange collision circumstances.

Though i am wondering why it was reduced.