New map post requirements

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Is it possible to require people to put in at least three pictures for their maps in the "Maps" forum before they can start a new thread there?

Sure, some unscrupulous fellows might just upload a placeholder image three times to get around it, but they're outliers: Most of the time I think it would be useful.

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
I think its a good idea, and maybe a warning if you dont add a download.

A few people start a thread to take the name, not to show off anthing.

Most people start the thread, then uplaod the pics later...why? Why can't they uplaod the pics first, like I do. Then they don't have to have a page of comments asking for pics.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
IMO if someone isn't at a stage where they can provide interesting pictures, they don't have any business claiming the name nor any particular investment in it. (So what if you rename your map if there's never been a release?)

Agentkid

L1: Registered
Feb 27, 2009
A few people start a thread to take the name, not to show off anthing.

Most people start the thread, then uplaod the pics later...why? Why can't they uplaod the pics first, like I do. Then they don't have to have a page of comments asking for pics.

They can make a map name reserver here and it holds your map name for 4 weeks or if you post the map (if you dont you lose the name)

UFO

L2: Junior Member
May 20, 2009
Also, is there a way to improve searching "versions" of maps? I mean, it's difficult to find for example only final versions of maps, or RCs only. Is it possible to add versions list (alpha, beta, release candidate, final) to "Map Version", like in the "Title" (no prefix, CP, PL, etc), and also add this list to search options?

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Yeah, with the use this site's getting, a bit of redesign should be in order, some extra accessibility and such.

Although, I've been thinking for a while, some other map makers and I have been feeling that it's quite hard to get your map seen due to the large amount of people releasing their maps too quickly. Currently, because of this crowdedness, it's in a kind of every man for himself situation. I think adding a new idea like a karma system to the forums would help this (something more than the Thanks! button..) Say, in order to post a map, you must of given 10 official (marked official by whoever the review was given to) reviews of other peoples map. This way, it gets Map Reviewing and Criticising to become a standard, and part of a pay it forward circle..

Something like that anyways..

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
I would say just 1 screen and only if they have a download they should add 3.

A screen actualy should be a must. even if you are just planning the map you can make an image of that. Ofcourse, if you are planning something very large and you clearly explained it then a placeholder image shouldnt harm but at least it prevents the maps like 2sandforts cousing alot of confusion.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i have thought about putting a requirement of at least 2 images. but this would lead to users being too lazy to take proper screen shots so they will upload placeholder images. this inturn just clutters up the web server with useless junk images.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I think the community is fairly self regulating. People give negative feedback when there's a post with no content

The problem with that is post count is kind of an informal measure of interest

Person A posts an actual map with pictures, nobody has any real feedback on it, so you get maybe 5 responses

Person B posts some dumb attention-grab with nothing included, and 20 people post flaming him

Person B's thread is more active, regardless of the quality of feedback

Just an observation

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah, posters need an option to remove useless comments/spam.

I would rather have a submition with no comments than two pages of flame wars.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Thats a bad idea because it discourages people to put out their maps. If any kinda of rules and conditions must be me, they have to be doable in the map releases.
I don't think it discourages them any more than a bunch of "pics or no click" comments, and it avoids a lot of frustration on everybody else's part.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Maybe make it so that the thread is locked (to all but the poster) if there isn't a download link and/or pictures? (example) Dr. Spud is working on a new map, but it's not quite complete, so all he has is a short description, name, and gamemode. If he feels like it, he could post a picture or two. If he has a download link, he can get off his ass and post a few screenshots. If it's not been compiled yet, he can post some screenshots. Once he has both, and people can download it, the thread gets unlocked.

The only thing you can comment on with screenshots (omitting special circumstances) is no cubemaps, lighting, and/or 'it looks nice.' With a download link, you can go into the map and actually give some feedback - which is what we want to do (we're not showing off as much as we're trying to make a good map). [BUT if you only have a download link, you could make a terrible map for shits and giggles and make people download it and such. With both, you can see what the map will be ahead of time, know what to expect, and have the ability to try it out and give feedback. It also prevents the 20 replies to "OMIGOD SECRET MAP" in an hour - a thread of flames.