New map idea-should I make it?

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
I was thinking of making a map, but before I made it I had some questions. I will ask the questions after I describe the map.

The map would be kind of like bestinclass, only instead of separate rooms for different classes, all the classes will go the same route(except for sniper, I'll get to that). The team has to get to the end where there is a CP to win it. to advance, the classes would have to go through the different "obstacles" such as a scout double jump, then press a button on the other side so the rest of the team can advance. The two teams will not be in the same area, and will not be able to get in the other teams area, but you can see each other through the glass, and at certain points, hinder each other. engineers would be crucial to the team, because once you get past an obstacle, an engy can set down a teleporter. Snipers would also be important. at the beginning of the map, there would be two ways to go: the normal way, or the sniper area. The sniper area would be a place for snipers to go that has some openings at certain parts of the level. other classes could go that way, but it would be pointless, because they (the snipers) cannot advance faster to the very end.

halfway through there would be a CP that would not be necessary to win. It would be in an arena that you can go in only once both teams are ready(the doors would be triggered when a member of each team is standing in the entryway). if you capture this point, it would be locked and would hinder the other team(probably slow damage to them for 60 sec.)

so, some Q's:

Is there already a similar map? I know there is bestinclass but that is a different, non-team approach.

Is it a good idea? would people play it?

would any dedicated servers run it? I dont have one.

Should I do CP style, or CP and flag style, where the flag starts at the base and your team has to get it to the end?

any suggestions as to how to make it more replayable? by this I mean, something that makes it fun for a long time. for example I love dustbowl, and its probably due to the fact that its seperated into 3 parts.

any suggestions for some classes like pyro or spy?

Apex_

L3: Member
Jan 23, 2008
There's very limited precedent for this type of "linear class challenge" map, called team_trial_vx (where x is the version number, currently 4 I think). It's hideous, fullbright and mind-numbingly simple to complete but the basic concept is what you described to the letter, with the exception of the sniper area. Team_trial has a sniper range where snipers must shoot a series of targets, the last of which opens the door to the next area for the team.

Maps like this have been generally looked down upon, but if you try to remedy the things that make "fun" or other gimmick type maps like this stereotypically bad (e.g. fullbright, lack of props or detail, little thought to to real flow of the challenge rooms) I think it'd be a welcome addition. A well done challenge map would be a nice wildcard to throw onto a server and switch to sparingly to break the usual pattern of CTF and CP maps :)

It all comes down to how it's done, but that type of map will always have a very limited audience due to becoming repetitive, as well as the majority of similar maps setting a very low standard to begin with. Don't let my pessimism get you down though. If you can break the mold and make something that blows the half-hearted attempts thus far away, more power to you!

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
Yeah, All the weird non-normal maps look horrible to me. bestinclass looks okay, but it has so many weird secrets that everyone spends their time looking at the secrets, not playing the map. Not sure if I will make this map, but if I get around to it, I will make sure it is not bland and/or ugly.

trainRiderJ

L5: Dapper Member
Mar 14, 2008
teamfortress2fort.com has a NOM NOM server for maps like these. If your map is good enough, and if the people that matter like it, you could definitely get it in rotation. Know that this is by no means any sort of promise or guarantee, but talk to me if you go forward with your idea, cause I like it! At the very least we could probably get some guys together to help test.

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
I think that as with all ideas, in the end what really matters is execution.

If you put the time and thought necessary into this map, I'm sure you can make an excellent one. Unfortunately what often happens with "good idea" maps, is that the makers think coming up with the idea was the main thing, whereas in reality the real work hasn't even begun. I've found this is the same with anything really, making websites, coming up with business ideas, writing a creative essay. You can't rely on just the idea to see you through.

Actually I'm working on my first map right now, which has similarities to your idea, I guess. The big problem I'm finding is not the ideas, but making the non-standard gameplay work. I don't know if I'll be able to finish the map or if it will be any good, but at the end of the day it's a laugh making it so I say why not give your idea a go and see how it turns out?