New map idea - cp_lair (working name...)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Galago, Nov 10, 2008.

?

Which would you prefer as a map setting?

1. Underwater Lair

38.1%
  2. Volcanic Lair

61.9%
  1. Galago

Galago L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had this awesome idea and sudden burst of inspiration! Either an underwater lair or a volcanic lair. The plot I have laid out is for the underwater scenario, but I have a poll set up to determine which would be a better choice. BTW, this will be my first Hammer map.

PLOT (I finally have one!): BLU, in an attempt to control the plethora of underwater oil reserves, has set up a secret base. RED, in an effort to stop them and repossess their base, is infiltrating their underwater lair.

MAIN IDEAS:
    - James Bond style lair
    - Spytech style
    - Player-triggered trap doors

What do you think? Good idea? Not so much?

2. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Make a displacement of Dr. Evil's head on the side of the mountain and It would be gold.

but big no-no on the traps, players despise it when they get killed by a level instead of an enemy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ll4mma

ll4mma L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You could make it damage them though. Although that seems gimmicky and gimmicky is usually a big no-no. Also, I would recommend the underwater, just because water is easier to work with than 'lava'.

4. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    VOLCANIC LAIR VOLCANIC LAIR VOLCANIC LAIR

Damaging lava wouldn't be gimmicky if it's on the bottom of a deadly pit or in an inaccessible area. Do it.

5. Captain Planet

Captain Planet L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do lava, a water lair wouldn't be friendly to pyro's :)

6. Galago

Galago L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm contemplating a lava lair... do any of you have specific suggestions on how I should go about it? A.) How would I make lava? B.) Would this lava lair be on an island? C.) Inspirational pictures?

7. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
  8. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Whatever you do, don't forget the frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads.

9. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think you should do it Dr. No style from James Bond

An Underwater Clomplex in a volcanic mountain (combine both worlds) - you can import spy tech stuff and when it comes to death traps - ya I love a good death trap :) Nothing gives me more pleasure as a pyro tahn using the burst weapon which blows an opponent off of a cliff - er - into a lava pit to his doom! muhahahahahahahaah!!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. 3DRyan

3DRyan L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I personally would think it would be an interesting challenge to see if traps could work. If it's your first map though, I wouldn't recommend it. Get a good grip with mapping before trying anything really out there:thumbup:, go for the basics.