New Gamemode Idea (need help)

Zwolf11

L1: Registered
Mar 8, 2009
I know most people hate new users, but at least take a look at what I have to say.

Has anyone ever played Unreal Tournament 2004? There is a gamemode where you have to capture points that connect to each other in order to get to the enemy's main base. (Much like CP, well actually, exactly like CP :p) except, instead of a final CP, there's a power core deep in their base.

The point of the game mode is to kill your enemy's power core. It has a TON of health and you can only attack your enemy's power core when you own the point before it. So basically, it's a CP map with a thing to kill at the end.

Now I have made several maps before, but I usually take pre-made gamemodes and just paste them into my map. I would like to request someone to make a mock-up map with this gamemode. It doesn't have to be anything special, just 2 spawn points, like 3 CP's and 2 powercores. I just want to see how it would play in a real game.

What I really liked about this game mode in UT2004, was how you had to be both defensive and offensive at the same time. You had to protect the point before the power core while also attacking it. Or else, it would become invulnerable again, and you would have to go and re-cap the point.

Again, I know I sound like another noob saying "HEY GAIS LOOK AT ME I GOTS NEW IDEA NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE. MAKE IT FOR ME!!!" but...well, I really don't know where I was going with that :p. So, if someone nice enough could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
sounds like you want a func breakable, and have it's enabled state linked to the closest CP.
then when it breaks, have it output to a hidden CP to be captured by the other team.

personally i'm not sure that onslaught/warfare would work that great in tf2, but then again i'm probably biased since i only ever played onslaught with bots or on public servers, where it's impossible to organise the team, and any progress a team makes is as much down to luck as it is to skill.
by extension, you have now a case of the final cap point being able to be capped, (damaged), but never uncapped. so if it's taken 50% damage that 50% is not coming back. - definetly need a team that is on the ball to recover from having your home base CP made vulnerable then.

oh and an FYI: a func breakable can't distinguish between the team that shoots it, so friendlies will be able to force their own team to lose

Last edited:

Zwolf11

Mar 8, 2009
sounds like you want a func breakable, and have it's enabled state linked to the closest CP.
then when it breaks, have it output to a hidden CP to be captured by the other team.

personally i'm not sure that onslaught/warfare would work that great in tf2, but then again i'm probably biased since i only ever played onslaught with bots or on public servers, where it's impossible to organise the team, and any progress a team makes is as much down to luck as it is to skill.

lol, all I did when I tried making it myself was add a func_breakable to a box in the red teams base then just sit back and go "...now what"

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Again, I know I sound like another noob saying "HEY GAIS LOOK AT ME I GOTS NEW IDEA NO ONE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE. MAKE IT FOR ME!!!" but...well, I really don't know where I was going with that :p. So, if someone nice enough could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Nonsense, you don't have a new idea, you're stealing it from another game :)

Just have the output on the final points of "on cap team blah" to allow access to the breakable.

Zwolf11

Mar 8, 2009
Nonsense, you don't have a new idea, you're stealing it from another game :)

Just have the output on the final points of "on cap team blah" to allow access to the breakable.

STOP POKING HOLES IN MY LOGIC D:

lol, but seriously, would just adding an output of "on cap team blah" also make it so if the other team takes back the last point, it would go invulnerable again?

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Depends on how you make it invulnerable, but you could also add a "on cap team otherteam" output to make it do that.

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
it'd still be vulnerable to friendly fire

Zwolf11

Mar 8, 2009
Yeah, see I'm not very good at stuff like this, which is why I asked someone to just make a moch-up map :p

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
Instead of a func_breakable, couldn't it be a shootable func_button (that's "locked" until the final capture point is taken) that would, among other things, trigger the end of the round and some explosions and stuff when it's been damaged enough?

Zwolf11

Mar 8, 2009
Instead of a func_breakable, couldn't it be a shootable func_button (that's "locked" until the final capture point is taken) that would, among other things, trigger the end of the round and some explosions and stuff when it's been damaged enough?

o_O...yes...I understood that >.>

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
o_O...yes...I understood that >.>
I totally understand that response as well. Do you already know how to use Source's Input/Output system?

zaratustra

L2: Junior Member
Feb 1, 2009
Use door entities to shield the breakable object. When the last point is capped by the opposite team, they open. When the last point is capped by the friendly team, they close again.

Zwolf11

Mar 8, 2009
Use door entities to shield the breakable object. When the last point is capped by the opposite team, they open. When the last point is capped by the friendly team, they close again.

ehh, good idea, but not exactly what I was looking for

Mexican Apple Thief

L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER
Aug 23, 2008

That and even better make it so only the team that capped the point can open it when they walk in the room with a trigger to prevent griefing.

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
What about this. Make it 7 cp map, but but put the last, 7th, cp inside the power core, (build the power core as a box around it) and give it a super quick cap. So player would capture the last normal CP, then they would have to destory the box around the final point, and then cap the last CP super quick.

Zwolf11

Mar 8, 2009
Why would I need to put a cp under the power core? can't I just do an onbreak output on the core and link it to a round_win_blu or something?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Yeah, but that would solve the friendly fire problem. They wouldn't want to shoot since their CP is under their.

Plus, it's just a suggestion.