New File Added: CP_bloodstained

poopster101

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2008
i dont see that nifty sheet metal texture you said you were gonna use in these screenshots :D

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
Awesome job youme. Rated it an A-.

Pros: Very nice detail work. Great layout. You are the cliff displacement master. Your lighting is spot on and your brush work is near perfect.
Cons: Really the only issue is size. Thats where the - came from. The .bsp is 92 mb uncompressed. You are going to be hard pressed to get impatient users to wait that long to dload. I have about every custom map out there, and yours is by far the largest. The only one that comes close is cp_vertigo at 61 mb (This probably explains why I can never find this awesome map on a server). A comparable map to yours, cp_castle3 comes in at only 41mb. I know it is probably too late in the game for you to do anything about this, so you will likely have to get the word out that people need to download your map from here first in rared form and not off server.
Suggestions:

cp_bloodstained_nofence-1.jpg

This is area behind Red first spawn room. You should add a fence so they don't walk straight into the skybox textured brush.

cp_bloodstained_no_fence.jpg

If possible, instead of the no entrance texture at startup have the fence parts attached but hanging and then at setup they fall down.

Bugs found:

cp_bloodstained_hall-1.jpg

This is the hallway to the left when you come out of the Red spawn in the third round.

cp_bloodstained_hall_normal.jpg

This is how ceiling should look.

cp_bloodstained_hall_black.jpg

This is how it looks at certain angles. Goes black.

Sorry for the long post, but I think a picture is worth a thousand words when giving map feedback. Bottom line, awesome job and keep up the very great work.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Issue 1 - already fixed for next release
Issue 2 - I'm considering this but atm its not a priority
Ceiling - Already fixed, I didn't realise I'd used a model texture instead of the normal one, its been swapped ;)
Size - I've compressed all my textures and shrunk one that was bigger than needed, I've also reduced the size of the cubemaps on each cap point. I think I had two sets of cubemaps in that version, not sure how I managed it but neither set seemed to work. I suspect that the next version will be significantly smaller in file size

Thanks, what I'd really like is gameplay critique ;)

Termaximus

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 11, 2008
I will try and get on your server when some people are playing the map to give some gameplay feedback in the near future. But from running through solo and comparing it to other maps the layout seems good for gameplay.