New entities and features in the halloween Hammer update

Mar 23, 2010
arena + ghost spec + spells = gr8 someone make arena_helltower

blablubde

L1: Registered
Jun 4, 2013
besides the spell-books you can add to the map, you can even activate the spells ingame with a cvar.

Code:
tf_test_spellindex 0        firebolt
tf_test_spellindex 1        bats
tf_test_spellindex 2        übercharged
tf_test_spellindex 3        pumpkin bombs
tf_test_spellindex 4        jump
tf_test_spellindex 5        invisible
tf_test_spellindex 6        teleport
tf_test_spellindex 7        flying electro thingy
tf_test_spellindex 8        tiny player / deeper voice / speed
tf_test_spellindex 9        ghost monoculus
tf_test_spellindex 10      fire rain
tf_test_spellindex 11      3 skeletons
but keep in mind, for them to work, you don't need to pickup a spellbook. they just work and have infinite uses.

for the monoculus, there's also another cvar to change the time hes present:
Code:
tf_eyeball_boss_lifetime_spell 15     (default 15 seconds)
to disable the spells, just use this:
Code:
tf_test_spellindex -1

they are nice to have if you just want to mess around or try stuff.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
arena_hellhat inc

also i finished updating this version of nat20 it incorporate spellbooks, which I'll upload tonight. next version is gonna be the one that has the optional boss fight.

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
I suspect this is just as possible as making custom weapons, so Source modding may be required.

Of late I've been thinking of making a Medieval Mode map for Christmas where the use of spells are encouraged.

I'm thinking calling the map "Valvalla" due to the theme of vikings and frozen lands.

Problem is though would like some alternate spells. Frostbolt and Blizzard as well as replace some spells like replace Skeletons with Warrior snowmen maybe and no Monoculus.

But dunno if all will be possible. I'm just spouting ideas and got my own map to finish first.

In my head Medieval+Spellbooks sounds like a good idea but I know Medieval Mode itself isn't that popular so I don't know if the combination will be well liked.

Last edited:

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Spellbooks make medieval mode a lot better, as they add some variety over mindlessly swinging melee and also are basically gun equivalents.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
Spellbooks make medieval mode a lot better, as they add some variety over mindlessly swinging melee and also are basically gun equivalents.

I'm struggling with my current map, but perhaps I'll work on Valvalla afterwards (If I can get it done before the Christmas update). I'm struggling with my current map though so I don't think I should be planning more map projects. That's the trouble with being an idea guy.

Limeaide

L2: Junior Member
Jul 26, 2009
addcond 77 makes the player turn into a ghost (removecond 77 will disable btw). I'm not sure how you'd allow someone to do that in arena mode though, considering you'd want people to get kills but if someone is killed I'm not sure you can apply an addcond effect to them. Maybe that is something to test: see if you can detect when someone dies (removed from the game space) and trigger addcond 77 on them with the trigger_add_player_condition.

Couldn't one just decompile helltower and see how Valve does it?

Alfred.hr

Nov 1, 2013
About spell HUD, I renamed my custom map to plr_hightower_event, and spells showed up correctly, as so did the sound lines (blue and red brother fighting), apparently, that option is connected to the map name itself, not inside map as I have presumed. http://i.imgur.com/g3i7YSQ.jpg
I hope this helps someone.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
apparently, that option is connected to the map name itself, not inside map as I have presumed.

That is really strange. I wonder if it could be replicated to fit some other map name. Like how map logos are just automatic if the texture exists, maybe if a certain file config for the map exists somewhere then the map is given halloween mode stuff.

Mystic Monkey

Jan 24, 2011
I shared my idea for a map with a friend and said how I'd like to change the spells around.

He suggested a demon version of Rudolph to replace Monoculus summon.

Now I wanna mod those spells and make Valvalla even more now.

Last edited:

Alfred.hr

Nov 1, 2013
I was sniffing around tf2 files, and found out the spell (vgui\spellbook_stealth) and so on for every spell, it have came to my conclusion that this map has a script, that plays sounds, and has trigger to execute these spell huds. The folder of sounds is named Halloween_Mann_Brothers within .vpk files.

I think the "filter_tf_player_wearing_item" with the index of spellbook adds vgui to hud,
hence why no spellbook shows in hud when the spellbook is not equipped,
and also decompiling tf_weapon_spellbook gave me http://justpaste.it/dhzd

The fun part is, that the script is not included in the map file itself,
but somewhere within tf2 folders/files,
hence the name change of custom maps to event map triggers sounds and spellbook.

s0da72

Jan 11, 2013

Alfred.hr

Nov 1, 2013
Do you know what the number is for the index of the spellbook?

Someone listed this link http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Team_Fortress_2_Item_Definition_Indexes but I don't see it added yet.

I've got no idea, I'm sure it will be added soon, and if it is already there, I've got no idea what to do with it, I have not found anything in plr_hightower_event that might add that, what I would think about is rather finding file that adds the hud to the map, as I've previously said, no matter what map you rename to plr_hightower_event, custom or not, there will be spellbook.

s0da72

Jan 11, 2013
I've got no idea, I'm sure it will be added soon, and if it is already there, I've got no idea what to do with it,

Using valve's webapi I think they are 1069 for the fancy spellbook and 1070 for the basic. Yeah I don't know what to do with it either..

Code:
<item>
	<name>Halloween Spellbook</name>
	<defindex>1069</defindex>
	<item_class>tf_weapon_spellbook</item_class>
	<item_type_name>Spellbook </item_type_name>
	<item_name>Fancy Spellbook</item_name>
	<item_description> This is a fine-looking spellbook, full of pages you've collected. But you can never have too much magic...</item_description>
	<proper_name>false</proper_name>
	<item_slot>action</item_slot>
	<model_player/>
	<item_quality>6</item_quality>
	<image_inventory>backpack/player/items/all_class/hwn_spellbook_complete</image_inventory>
	<min_ilevel>1</min_ilevel><max_ilevel>100</max_ilevel>
	<image_url>http://media.steampowered.com/apps/440/icons/hwn_spellbook_complete.b6b14027ec14d6878f16f9c7b42894f0481fe2a1.png</image_url>
	<image_url_large>http://media.steampowered.com/apps/440/icons/hwn_spellbook_complete_large.dd4cb4d0df6c6b013542ccdc4a399563bf70ae29.png</image_url_large>
	<capabilities>
		<nameable>true</nameable><can_craft_mark>true</can_craft_mark>
		<can_be_restored>true</can_be_restored><strange_parts>true</strange_parts>
		<can_card_upgrade>true</can_card_upgrade><can_strangify>true</can_strangify>
		<can_killstreakify>true</can_killstreakify><can_consume>true</can_consume>
		<can_spell_page>true</can_spell_page>
	</capabilities>
	<styles>
		<style>
			<name>TF_UnknownStyle</name>
		</style>
	</styles>
	<attributes>
		<attribute>
			<name>single wep deploy time decreased</name>
			<class>mult_single_wep_deploy_time</class>
			<value>0.5</value>
		</attribute>
	</attributes>
</item>

<item>
	<name>Basic Spellbook</name>
	<defindex>1070</defindex>
	<item_class>tf_weapon_spellbook</item_class>
	<item_type_name>Spellbook </item_type_name>
	<item_name>Spellbook Magazine</item_name>
	<item_description> A vintage edition of Casters Quarterly. Found in the back of a closet, it contains just enough magic to get the job done. Equip to enabled picking up and casting spells.</item_description>
	<proper_name>false</proper_name><item_slot>action</item_slot><model_player/>
	<item_quality>6</item_quality><image_inventory>backpack/props_halloween/hwn_spellbook_magazine</image_inventory>
	<min_ilevel>1</min_ilevel><max_ilevel>100</max_ilevel>
	<image_url>http://media.steampowered.com/apps/440/icons/hwn_spellbook_magazine.3527be41918413569094879536304de8c9c44186.png</image_url>
	<image_url_large>http://media.steampowered.com/apps/440/icons/hwn_spellbook_magazine_large.e9099cdce302ce467b4930d6dfb4d0f22dd4b3e0.png</image_url_large>-
	<capabilities>
		<nameable>true</nameable><can_craft_mark>true</can_craft_mark>
		<can_be_restored>true</can_be_restored><strange_parts>true</strange_parts>
		<can_card_upgrade>true</can_card_upgrade><can_strangify>true</can_strangify>
		<can_killstreakify>true</can_killstreakify><can_consume>true</can_consume>
	</capabilities>-
	<styles>-
		<style>
			<name>TF_UnknownStyle</name>
		</style>
	</styles>-
	<attributes>-
		<attribute>
			<name>single wep deploy time decreased</name>
			<class>mult_single_wep_deploy_time</class>
			<value>0.5</value>
		</attribute>
	</attributes>
</item>

Alfred.hr

Nov 1, 2013
Using valve's webapi I think they are 1069 for the fancy spellbook and 1070 for the basic. Yeah I don't know what to do with it either..

Nice, only thing that falls on my mind is mapname.ent, I've seen some ent of official map, for instance this is one part of script;
Code:
"entity"
	{
		"classname" "point_commentary_node"
		"targetname" "CommentaryIntro"
		"origin" "559.718445 3719.067139 -461"
		"angles" "0 200 0"
		"precommands" ""
		"postcommands" ""
		"commentaryfile" "#commentary\tf2-comment000.wav"
		"printname" "Welcome to Team Fortress 2"
		"viewtarget" ""
		"viewposition" ""
		"prevent_movement" 0
		"speakers" "Gabe Newell"
		"synopsis" ""
		"teleport_origin" "799.174377 3822.125977 -391"
	}
The thing that fell on my mind is renaming entity for instance into this;

Code:
"entity"
	{
		"classname" "filter_tf_player_wearing_item"
		"targetname" "!activator"
		"filtermode" "Allow entities that match criteria"
                "econ_item_index" "1069" "1070"
                }
I don't know except that way, I've spent intire morning searching every single apk, folder, .bsp, not a single source of it. Simply it's not there, or I'm blind, also I've contacted valve about this, hoping for a answer soon.

Last edited: