Neverending compile

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by KaidemonLP, Aug 1, 2017.

1. KaidemonLP

KaidemonLP L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Whenever i compile my map with normal vvis it doesnt end, i even let it on a few days and it still stayed the same
    I dont know if i did something wrong with optimization.
    Had this problem on other maps too.

2. Vel0city

aa Vel0city personal pick-pocketing parrot

Positive Ratings:
    There probably is something wrong with optimisation.

Have you used any func_detail? Is the map properly sealed (aka not in a big box)? Have you read this: optimization.interlopers.net ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KaidemonLP

Positive Ratings:
    It is sealed and i have used func_details.

4. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    have you used func_detail properly like in the article? Look at your visleafs and see if they can be done better. no small world brushes creating oddly shaped or unecessary visleafs? Are larger brushes done for geometry world brushes? Do you have an extremly large open space?

5. KaidemonLP

Positive Ratings:
    I do have large open spaces (2 of them)

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Try using func_vuscluster on thise spaces. Mind that it basicly turns all visleafs in the volume into a singe big visleaf so it can only decrease performance. Thats why you need to use them carefully. If the open space is outside if the playabke area, you can often use them more safely (though perhaps a 3d skybox is better).

You should understand how visleafs and viscluster work to use them efficiently as they might mess up performance if used carelessly.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I am now very curious to see what this map is like, because it's hard to make something so complicated that VVIS can't handle it. Screenshots of how it looks with func_detail hidden would be helpful too.

8. guest3444307

guest3444307 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I Have This Problem Too and I think I found the solution to it, Go to task manager and delete the VVIS instance, it gets stuck even noticing its finished for some reason, so if your confident enough, end the VVIS instance and it should go to VRAD and it should finish just fine.

• Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 4
  9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    that just breaks the vvis compile. Don't do this, or at least don't ship your map with this. You should optimize your map properly so vvis can compile without issues,