KotH nerve Final

Mazy

1. Mazy

Mazy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've had this map lying around since March in a pretty final state, just collecting dust, so now I'm finally pulling myself together and pushing it out the door :)

Let me know what you think~~

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Excellent trimwork

3. AgeNt_

AgeNt_ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really like the feel to the map, as in a sense that the theme is something new and interesting. However, in picture 2 and 3 it seems a lot is going on. In picture 2, there are like 5 different ways to get to the middle, and in picture 3, it seems like a place I would get lost. Keep in note that I haven't played this yet so again it could change.

Overall, very unique and gameplay looks interesting so I'll keep an eye on it.

4. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    This is looking really good. I like it!

5. Penguin

aa Penguin Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome

Positive Ratings:
    excellent trims.

6. Mazy

Positive Ratings:
    It is a very valid concern, but it seems like most people get the hang of it and learn the layout fairly quickly. It does have a fairly paranoid feel altogether though, and does encourage you to keep moving. Still trying to block some of the most extreme sightlines, but you'd also be surprised that sniper don't have a field day on this level, probably because there are plenty of ways of flanking up on them if they're too persistent.

But yeah, loads of routes into the CP area, and that might not be everyone's cup of tea, but so far I'm quite happy with it, though I am also trying to make it as simple and streamlined as possible while maintaining the current layout.

Oh and another thing, I deliberately made it so sentries can't shoot across to the other side, though they can cover the CP quite easily. That was always something that bugged me about a lot of KOTH maps, sentries are a bit too useful at locking down large areas.

7. waxpax

waxpax L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Can you upload this map somewhere other than minus? Idk why, but I can't seem to download it from there and I'm really interested in running around the map to take a look at it. Thanks.

8. IcyEyes

IcyEyes L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    FYI: I had to right click and "save file as". Left clicking did nothing. Hope that helps!

Edit: Oh and the detailing looks very nice and uniquely done. Great job.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Mazy

Positive Ratings:
    Sure, usually I upload this stuff on my own site, but it moved servers and right now I don't have access to it. Used Minus as a temp solution, but it looks as it if works if you left click it.

Oh and thanks, I'm not really in a detailing phase right now, but I've tried to add a little here and there so it didn't look too dull for playtests.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    You know you could just upload here.

It looks beautiful :D

11. waxpax

waxpax L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?hcb718t1edmdw67

We pugged your map tonight, that's the stv. The biggest complaint was that the spawns were backward from standard koth; ie, the defenders get shorter spawns than the attackers so once you have the point, you basically hold it without much contest. There were also some complaints about the sightlines making sniper too powerful and that the map was just too open. Also was a little big and people felt like there was a lot of dead space on the map, as in unused portions.

12. Huckle

Huckle L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I really like what you've done with the industrial theme. So much that it makes me want to steal some of the details for rocky road. We'll see how it goes. :D

13. Mazy

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I just realized that I was missing some stuff in my trigger_capture_area, fixed it now. Was fairly annoying in the last playtest, in the earlier ones we ended up setting it to insta spawn

Regarding the size and the overall range, then I get what you're saying, but in the playtests I've had so far (and these have ranged from 5v5, 8v8 and 12v12), then I think the size is pretty good, and much to my surprise then snipers haven't completely dominated the place. In most cases snipers have actually had a quite hard time since there's plenty of ways to flank over to them, plus the CP has just enough cover to make it hard for them to just lock it down.

But again, I've only had 4 playtests on it so far and obviously different combinations of skill, players and timing will change a lot. I am planning on reducing the sight lines in a few spots, but as a whole then it actually plays somewhat like I intended.

I do agree that there's a few unused areas right now, most noticeable the house with the two windows. Was supposed to be the bread n' butter sentry placement, but so far it seems like it's a bit too closed off, even if it has a view of the CP. I have some ideas to make it more interesting for players but I'm gonna keep my hands from altering it too much for now. Also the "tunnel" on the other side isn't being used that much either, but with that one I'm thinking its also a matter of people learning the map and getting used to having that as viable option of getting around. Don't know if these were the things that you were talking about, but there's definitely spots of the level that can be tightened up.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, appreciate it~

14. Mazy

Positive Ratings:
    Will be another playtest tonight, 20:00 GMT+2. Will post details later~

15. Mazy

Positive Ratings:
    Playtest is on in roughly 30 minutes

IP: 89.104.194.153:27050

Download will be through the server (or rather it's redirected to another server)

16. Mazy

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, bump :)

I've had this map lying around since March in a pretty final state, just collecting dust, so now I'm finally pulling myself together and pushing it out the door

Let me know what you think~~

Download: http://www.mazy.net/koth_nerve.zip

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  17. sitebender

sitebender L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think this map is for punnishing the point. Everything is designed to kill everything on the point. There are some really clever paths here for spies, scouts and demos to take. I think that a spy could really thrive here. One good spy to take out all of the catwalkers.

The look is great and it looks different than any other map. Great details when it comes to clutter. If you didn't add the details and clutter it would be too easy of a copy and paste sort of thing.

18. Dr. Sasha

Dr. Sasha L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    The brushwork and the whole theme is very satisfying eye candy.

Amazing, I cannot express how amazing it is.

19. PC's_Frank

PC's_Frank L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    This looks incredible! Nice job!

20. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    Beautiful map, but you compiled without -staticproppolys (and I'm guessing -textureshadows and -staticproplighting too), so you have quite a lot of lighting errors on your props. If you ever see this, might wanna just give it a quick compile with those settings, or even check out adding some lightmaps to some to fix them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1