CTF Neon A9

a ravey/ parkour-esk ctf map

1. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

[FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Neon - a ravey/ parkour-esk ctf map

ctf_neon is a capture the flag map, you jump between buildings while attacking your foes to capture the flag.

seizure warning
    map has a lot of flashing lights.

I made this in under a day

2. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  3. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Can you add screenshots? Sounds like a cool map.

4. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
    done and done

5. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    I'm sorry, I had to remove this from the bot queue. Your warning is only seen by someone viewing the download page, and people without prior knowledge can really get hurt by this map's effects. That aside, it's also incredibly dark apart from the bright lights, especially the flashing ones. I myself don't suffer from epilepsy, but I too felt uneasy seeing so many flashing lights. Take steps to focus more on layout rather than the seizure-inducing aspects, and get back to us. I understand you haven't spent too much time on it, but I recommend you spend much more time on it before uploading. I also advise to sticking to normal map naming conventions, such as koth_example_a1 or ctf_example_b2a etc etc - without doing so, you run the risk of your map not working properly for everyone due to file conflicts and general confusion.

For any curious, for whatever reason, on what the seizure inducing effects are in this map, you may find them in the link below.

CAUTION - SEIZURE / EPILEPSY WARNING
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/586461/Models/2017/2017-02-19%2016-55-33.mp4
    CAUTION - SEIZURE / EPILEPSY WARNING

6. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  7. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
    k, will use fluorescent flicker appearance in moderation from now on

8. Void

Positive Ratings:
    Please refer to this video for tips on proper naming conventions, you will run into several issues if you do not abide by them.

And just for good measure, all of Crash's videos are very good resources! I highly recommend checking out his mapping tutorials.

Your map is also still very dark, I suspect it may have a leak. Can you pastebin your compile log?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  10. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
    are you sure? I did a compile before doing the update and a recent play for some quick screen shots, and it was pretty nicely lighted

11. The Siphon

The Siphon L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, the map is way too dark.

I did a quick run in the map and there are a lot of problems, I would say it's unplayable at this stage, since there is no possible way anyone could get the intelligence.

[​IMG]
    There basically are only routes to the enemy intelligence. Scout and other jumping classes have 2 routes, but other players have only 1 route. The intelligence is right in front of the spawn room, so capturing it is near impossible task.

[​IMG]
    The spawnrooms are quite dark (since the textures on the respawn cabinets are black, could also be a leak), also the light entities left some light spots on the ceiling.

[​IMG]
    There is no func_respawnroom

[​IMG]
    The sightlines are huge, so you will most likely be killed by a sniper before you can even make it to the first bridge.

It's too early to say that this map is in beta stage. You basically need to reshape the whole map ,which will take some time. Add new area for intelligence, add new routes and some height variation to make it bit more interesting. Also avoid too long sightlines, since snipers can take advantage of them easily. Also avoid having blue/red lights in the map, since it makes identifying players a lot harder.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  13. Void

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    These doors take 5 whole seconds to open and close. They also z-fight with the world around them. It's often best to make these go very fast as to not hinder movement of the players. Also spawn is really bright.

[​IMG]
    This lip is too high to walk up back into spawn, you need to jump in order to make it back in.

[​IMG]
    If anyone makes it into mid, they have a direct sightline into the enemy spawn.

[​IMG]
    Brushwork like this is far too angled to cleanly walk up it. 45 degrees is the maximum walkable angle - anything else will need to be jumped up in order to traverse.

[​IMG]
    A Soldier can not make this jump without rocket jumping. A Heavy will fall to his death. Almost certainly any class that isn't a Scout or doesn't have extra mobility will not be able to make these jumps.

[​IMG]
    These two paths to the intel can also not be traversed by classes without extra mobility. You'd need to rocket jump, double jump, sticky jump, flare jump, sentry jump, or build a teleporter on the raised ledges just to get across - some things that aren't readily available to all classes.

[​IMG]
    Also, the brushwork has some general issues - most prevalent by the structures of the arches and stuff like this at the bottom of the pit. The HUD also appears to be broken.

Hopefully these things can be addressed. You can get something playable out of this, but it needs more work and dedication.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  15. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  16. suber36g

suber36g L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    ctf_neon_a60002.jpg
    This is a bit to high for the player to walk over. ctf_neon_a60003.jpg
    and this door is messed up, unless you want it that, then congrats!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  18. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
  19. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
    BTW way guys, i consider the middle building and the surrounding area as 'mid', and each 'shopping area', spawn, Intel area, and such is a teams' side.

20. [FUR3] Mewz_Teh_g4m3r

Positive Ratings:
    update log
    • added patches to visualize where taken health packs are(btw tell me if there are way too many heatlh packs, I want this to be a fun map)
    • added door at side of mid building(it leads to the shade flank route)
    • tried best to tweak spacing so jumps to mid building are more class friendly (if your a slow crouch, do a explosive or crouch jump atm)

Read the rest of this update entry...