Need your help: Major TF2 Mod Idea

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by MasterXykon, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MasterXykon

MasterXykon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Nvm

nvm

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome to TF2Maps.net. I see you're new.

EDIT: Okay, that sounds mean. Basically, the main response you're going to get from here is that people won't really be up for it. If you're serious about this, we want to see previous work, we want to know you'll be dedicated and most importantly, we want to see actual stuff. Even in the Steam Forums thread you seem to have no idea what the actual 'plot' of this 'mod' would be.

It's harsh, but it's honest.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Judging from that description and my knowledge of this community's members, I highly doubt that you're gonna get a lot of serious responses. But still, good luck!

4. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Going to have to piggy back on what ZPQ is saying (with this link!)

tl:dr; you need to have more than just a story. What you have is a "mod story" not a "mod idea." A mod "idea" is something that has game mechanics behind it. How do you want people to play? What is the goal of the game? What emotions do you want to have and when? More importantly: What are the game mechanics? How do things work? Do you know if they will work?

On does not simply just walk into game design. As the article i linked mentions, just because you are a fan of games, and consider yourself a good judge on how good a game is, does not mean you are a good judge on making a good game. If we here decided to make our own FPS just based off an idea, it wouldn't get far. Just because we map for TF2, an FPS, does not mean that we are good designers of FPS games (though, some people like to think they are).

You will need to show that you can bring a lot more to your dev team than just an idea.

5. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  6. Kiddnils

Kiddnils L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Oh god I laughed.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, unless your name is Tim Schafer, there's not much money in being an Ideas Guy.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  8. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    So you're not even sure about the title or the story? You need to really develop your idea before people will even consider joining. And anyway, it will be much more beneficial to recruit people you know irl, rather than people you only know by their screen names.

9. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    Are you serious or is this some silly joke?

10. Tom Hoen

Tom Hoen L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1