Need two answers before I release RC5

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!
Oct 6, 2008
Yep, I'm ready to release RC5 - a complete redo of may canyon map.

I have 1 issue and 2 concern:

Issue - stg2/stg3 transission - payload cart on teleport goes from end of 2 to start of 3 rightside up. When round 3 sets up the payload turns upside down but as soon as you touch it it turns right side up? Any ideas what's going on? the only thing that I can see is that the cart doesn't level out 100% on exit stg 2 even though I have the exact same coding as stg1 exit where it works just fine and exits the stage on a level plane.

Concern 1 - compile error messge

I'm getting this message in my compile "ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar"

From all the sources/stuff I've researched - it points to a leak within my map - however, I can't find any leaks using the traditional methods. I corndoned off the area where the error is happening and there is a hole in the wall between the two rooms but the hole is needed - one room is the gameplay area and the other is the spawn room.

I've run the map seveal times now with no apparent issues - can I ignore this message and if no is there an easy way to find out what the cause is?

Concern 2 - vrad

I'm using that new handy dandy compiling tool and I love it - works well - but I still might run my final compile in Hammer. Well anyways, the tool has indicated in the report output that vrad is almost at maximum which in some cases is to be expected as I am running a night/dusk type of map. Since vrad is nearing the max - am I faced with any game play issues? ie.cl_showents <1600 - If I go over that I would get an edict crash - do bomb/rocket explosions etc cause any issues with lighting?

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
If you are using VBCT< you'll want to do your final compile on that.

iirc, the ConVar error you can ignore (but don't quote me on that)

for the cart, just check your path_tracks, you might have a weird angle on it, and it is aligning that to itself. If not, you can set up a dummy path_track, slightly above the first one, that it tele's to, and then kind of "drops down" onto the path_track that is the start of your level.

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks so much Frozen - you've been a big help as always.

Yep - have been using VBCT and loving it - any suggestions what options to use for the absolutely best results (I only started using it the day before the site issues)?

thanks and thanks for the other two - will try them out when I get home.

Oct 6, 2008
Thanks - a see all these options there but don't have a clue as to what they do - should I check off the LDR HDR check boxes too on the main page and those funny vis items?

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Try reading the valve developer wiki, it lists and explains all the compilation options.

Oct 6, 2008
Ok thanks - it works great - but I did have an unexpected result - my map is now A LOT lighter than the other times I compiled - do those extra two options lighten the outputs? - I'm trying for a night/early to late evening feeling to it but for some reason it's now appearing as late afternoon and I haven't changed anything with the light_env entity.

Spacek531

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 28, 2012
the brightness thing is probably because you haven't compiled in HDR yet. When I did a few tests without HDR on, after I switched to HDR rendering the lighing was completely different and I had to re-do all the lights. When you compile in hammer, check the HDR option in the simple options menu to compile in HDR. For a large map like yours, it may be beneficial to create the lighting in chunks to save compile time.

Oct 6, 2008
I case I didn't explain it right - no HDR = the darker that I wanted/need as soon as I clicked HDR everything went all funky on me - will compile cordon to see if I can figure it out - thanks for the tip on that :)

Ok now that I'm playing with the HDR thing another question - if I have no HDR and it appears great, if I lower the light level to compensate for the HDR - won't people who aren't running HDR then get a totally black map or will they HDR values be applied to their maps also?

Last edited:

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Lights have special options to let you override the settings for HDR compiles. And yes, the lighting is indeed stored twice, once with HDR enabled and once without it.

Oct 6, 2008
Here's my settings

Yaw: 0 270 0
Pitch: -45
Brightness: 22 44 44 200
Ambient: 37 75 75 20
Brightness HDR: 192 192 192 1
BrightnessScaleHDR - 1
Ambient BrightnessHDR: -1 -1 -1 1
AmbientBrightnessHDR: 1

Works reall great for non but HDR sucks - I tried to copy the Brightness values over to the HDR one but no difference

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
What you're supposed to do is add an env_tonemap_controller and a logic_auto to tell it what to do. See any official map at all for an example, or one that uses the same skybox and light_environment as yours for the best values. I've never understood exactly what it does or why the game can't do it automatically, but it'll prevent what you're experiencing right now.

Oct 6, 2008
Ah ok - thanks - I'll double check that out too - I just copied the light_env over from plr_pipeline and that seems to be working after the test compile I just ran.

Edit: The 2nd compile just completed - it looks great when I turned off these features -staticproppolys and -staticproplighting. Don't know what they're doing in terms of making the lighting go wacky so unless anyone has any major issue with it I think I'm done!!! YEA!!!

2nd Edit

Ok - this is starting to drive me crazy now - found a flaw(conveyor running the wrong direction after I rotated it) after I compiled - fixed it and reran the compile - now it's just like the others - TOO BRIGHT.

I'm thinking of just going without the HDR - anyone have any issues with that? What really is the benefit of HDR anyways?

Last edited: