Need suggestions for a mapping contest.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Need some suggestions on how a mapping contest should be structured.

1. How much time should be given?
2. What kind of parameters/rules should the mapper have?
3. What kind of prize should be offered? Toys/cash/games/etc.

Thanks guys. :wavey:

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
HrmmI would say about 3 months should probably be the maxium to give people enough time (especially if they have to make something from scratch), but how long really depends on the parameters..

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
For parameters, you may want to choose one type of gameplay (CTF, CP-unidirectional, CP-bidirectional). You also may want to choose a theme for the map.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
ooooh, One way CP.... Secret theme ingredient: Boom

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Great idea, i was thinking of something like this. I would like to make an indoor map with vieuws outside, custom models and textures.

Hmm ideas ideas...

You can choose what type of map you want, but it has to be ctf , cp or tc, so no shit funmaps.
Time; 3 months.
Theme, should be free, you dont want the contestants make all the same map

Creativity, gameplay and looks are important, also, a server should be available for testing the block map before adding detail.

Rewards: the biggest reward for a mapper is that his map gets played. Maybe garantee that the map will be on most server (you post the map on forums, recommend it etc etc, announce the competition big...)

JTG

L2: Junior Member
Nov 19, 2007
Woot

I'd totally be down with a conteest.

Thoughts:

1) 2- 3 months should be fine
2) Can't think of any specific rules/but I like the idea of a specific map type. A theme wouldn't be too bad as long as the theme was open to interpretation.
3) Prizes are a tough one. It'd be cool to just get recognized for your work, maybe an interview or profile of the mapper, etc. Or... if people want a material reward, there's always the Valve swag store. They have T-shirts and stuff that's not too expensive.