Need some basic help with units

Dark

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 27, 2009
what are good units to use for spawn rooms and things does it matter?
Also can someone link me up to a good guide on how to do cube maps correctly.
Thanks everyone
Dark

megawac

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 2, 2009
Cube maps are simple:

An entity that takes pictures of the area around it. These pictures are used to help reflective things (like glass and water) near the cubemap reflect properly, among other things. Any time you make glass or water, you should place an env_cubemap entity near the reflective face and use its Brush Faces property to choose that reflective face. If you are not trying to make a face reflective, you can just place the entity and forget about it.

The VERC has a cubemap explanation that basically amounts to: "use an env_cubemap near reflective surfaces or in areas with a high visual contrast, such as a bright yellow room next to a dark blue room."

You must type buildcubemaps in the game's console then reload the map to get cubemaps a-working.

As for the spawn room... Its all depends on the style of the map. Just keep height reasonably high >160ish

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
In your SDK_content folder, check your tf/maps directory and there should be maps starting with sdk_ (sdk_ctf_2fort for example). These are pre-compiled versions of official TF2 valve maps. You can reference these for sizes and structure techniques etc.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
192 units is the standard wall height in TF2.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
For me units never seem to appear (i think).