Need Smoke for Smoke Stacks

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kill_the_Bug, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm - never done this before. Any ideas?

I'd like something to look nice but not have the particle system totally impact my map and FPS rates.

Also how do you change the direction in which way it blows?

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I would imagine that controllable particle systems have a control point for the smoke destination.

3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    The direction of the smoke particles for official chimneys and smokestacks is all hardcoded you'd need to create your own particles to change them.

If you're happy with the direction from an official map, just open that up in hammer, find the particle system entity at the top of the chimney prop and copy it into yours.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TheBestUsername

TheBestUsername L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    cp_well uses some smoke particles. Try copying those into your map and see how it looks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    And if you can't remember which maps have smoke (there's a decent number of them, everything from big puffy smoke to thin wispy smoke), the second option is to extract all the pcf files from the vpk's, run TF2 in tools mode, then browse the pcf's until you find one you like.

Then just type the name of it into your entity in Hammer.

If you really want to go nuts play around for a few hours and try to make your own or modify an existing one. It's a fun diversion playing with all the variables.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    Why isn't there some sort of particle browser? why didn't Valve create one?

7. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    There is, but it's a pain to launch the game everytime you want to view it

8. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    There is in every other version of hammer. Even CS:S has it, I think. Newer versions like P2, CSGO and Alien Swam 100% have particle broswers built into hammer.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    You can open the particle editor by adding -tools to your launch options. I believe there's a wiki page that describes it in greater detail.

• Thanks Thanks x 1